Noise with the AC on and RPM's Drop

LuvmyAWD

I have had my edge for about a month and i LOVE IT!! well i got the 3.5L AWD, any ways when i turn my AC on my RPM's go up and down and there's like a "rattle- sounds like a snake kind of" and sometimes it will actually turn my car off since the RPM's go so low and i have had the C.E.L. light come on and it came on because the engine was idleing so low it made the C.E.L. come on, well thats a sum of whats up with my EDGE if anyone has the same problem or had the same problem could you PLEASSSEE!! help me i took it to the dealer and they said it was fine no problems but there is obviously a problem, so now i have no other choice but to take it to another dealer 3hours away which sucks.. SOO ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY AWWWWSOME!!!

Oh and im new !!!

I have not had this problem in a Fuel injected car, but here is my opinion. Log everytime that it happens; time of day, exterior conditions, driving conditions, how long the vehicle has been on, etc.

Also, there is usually a small variation in RPM when the AC is turned on and off. The rattle may be the AC clutch kicking in and out, but I can't even hear mine in the car, only when the hood is up.

Do the log for a couple times, I would say a minimum of 5 times. After that, take it back to the dealership and have them take another look at it. This may help them find the problem. The biggest problem is they probably just hook it up to the computer when you bring it in and the computer says everything is normal. The key is to get it to happen when they have it. So this log may help them replicate the same conditions.

The worst case is contact Ford directly. Only do this if your dealership cannot or refuses to fix the problem.

Good luck!!!

I have not had this problem in a Fuel injected car, but here is my opinion. Log everytime that it happens; time of day, exterior conditions, driving conditions, how long the vehicle has been on, etc.

Also, there is usually a small variation in RPM when the AC is turned on and off. The rattle may be the AC clutch kicking in and out, but I can't even hear mine in the car, only when the hood is up.

Do the log for a couple times, I would say a minimum of 5 times. After that, take it back to the dealership and have them take another look at it. This may help them find the problem. The biggest problem is they probably just hook it up to the computer when you bring it in and the computer says everything is normal. The key is to get it to happen when they have it. So this log may help them replicate the same conditions.

The worst case is contact Ford directly. Only do this if your dealership cannot or refuses to fix the problem.

Good luck!!!

The problem happens in any wheather and the sound comes from the middle of the car and yes i understand the RPM's move with the AC on but i mean i goes from the 1 mark to 2 lines above the zero and will do that for about 5min. and then it will eventually turn off the car...

The problem happens in any wheather and the sound comes from the middle of the car and yes i understand the RPM's move with the AC on but i mean i goes from the 1 mark to 2 lines above the zero and will do that for about 5min. and then it will eventually turn off the car...

Hi LuvmyAWD. :D I am not sure how you handled showing the Dealer Service Representative the problem when you brought your Edge there, but this is what I would recommend: Bring your vehicle to the Dealer and ask to have a Technician go for a ride with you. While on the ride, try to replicate the problem. If the problem happens while they are with you, it is much harder to say that "everything is fine, there are no problems".

If you only leave the vehicle there for them to check, without requesting a Tech to ride with you, they will only spend a limited amount of time to replicate the problem before they give up. If they can not replicate the problem while they are driving it, they cannot diagnose or fix it.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 4 weeks later...
I have had my edge for about a month and i LOVE IT!! well i got the 3.5L AWD, any ways when i turn my AC on my RPM's go up and down and there's like a "rattle- sounds like a snake kind of" and sometimes it will actually turn my car off since the RPM's go so low and i have had the C.E.L. light come on and it came on because the engine was idleing so low it made the C.E.L. come on, well thats a sum of whats up with my EDGE if anyone has the same problem or had the same problem could you PLEASSSEE!! help me i took it to the dealer and they said it was fine no problems but there is obviously a problem, so now i have no other choice but to take it to another dealer 3hours away which sucks.. SOO ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY AWWWWSOME!!!

Oh and im new !!!

I am having the same problem with the AC on, I took my car in last week they said it was normal for the RPM to fluctate but my car almost dies then jumps with my foot on the brake. They also said it was low on freeon they filled it up and claimed the fluctuation was not as extreme, It's the same!!!!

I am going back to a different dealer tomorrow morning. I have had my car for a year this problem just started I use the air all the time. Another problem I had was while braking there was a loud grinding type noise they looked at the brakes and they said there was no problem but it stopped. My friend has the same car shes having the brake problem now.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently had the same problem on my '08 SE and they could not reproduce the problem at first. However, after waiting for the wife and it cut off on me 4 times, I practically flew to the dealership and it cut off on the tech that was examining it. Approximately an hour later, it was found that the throttle body was the culprit and they had a TSB for it.

Since then, I have not only noticed it not cutting off, I also noticed that the gas mileage and performance are actually better.