AWD Torque-split animation on dash--does it seem inaccurate to you?

Jombi

So this is just an observation about that animation on the left side of the dash.  That thing may be inaccurate and all things considered I don't really care but I'm just wondering if I'm seeing this correctly or not thinking of something that may cause this:

When I'm on warm, dry pavement--i.e, very traction-rich conditions--I'm seeing that animation send equal split to the rear differential when I *mildly* accelerate.  I mean gentle, grandma-like rolling away from the stop.  Then giving ever-so-slightly more gas, to see if the front animation grows more and the rear diminishes, I *still* see the rear getting equal torque.  Again--all the inputs that's I've read this system looks for to engage the rear diff--wipers on, wet pavement, cold out, heavy throttle--are the opposite--and it should not come close to engaging the rear diff.

Now, I'm not as smart as a computer, but I will bet my life that in these gentle accelerations where I'm seeing that animation show a big chunk of torque to the rears, those front tires are not even close to slipping.  

So...again, not the end of the world but just an observation I'm wondering if anyone has seen.

I believe the ST is programmed different and is meant to shift 50/50 pretty much until it hits over 55 mpg where it will disengage the rear PTU for better fuel economy.  But I see mine do front first then go to the rear.  Quickly but it does it and when floored both go to their max.  But if I looked at my mom's MKC or my dad's Escape the do not go full to the back until you floor it, if I recall correctly. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, diesel97 said:

I have been wondering the same thing since I noticed @ 60 mph on dry pavement and I hit a hill and it shifts from 6 th to 4 th I get the 50/50 split 

I think they all do that, apply torque to all wheels.  Then again the graph is very basic because it really does not show power ever really not going to the axle spinning, probably best tested in the snow but if it was a truly system that is supposed to send power where needed, the wheels not spinning wildly.  I know the ST shows only front at highway speeds unless you floor it enough to re-engage the PTU.  I assumed the Ford system was FWD until needed then sends power to the rear.  But in reality it seems to only be FWD right off the line then sends it to the rear as well as front.