09 edge

Maliboost

Aside from the normal used car issues of tires, suspension, battery, etc.

Looks like the car has been driven, and not sat still.  You can check the Canadian version of Carfax to get approx/year.  Just under 250K as it sits now, but there may have been periods where low miles were put on, always check for that.

AWD - ugh.  With the possibility that the PTU or RDU fluid have never been changed.  Ask about that.  Also if your driving habits differ substantially from the current owner's, you may run into some issues.  Mixed and city driving are hard on PTUs especially.  PTU can cost $

Transmission - has the fluid been regularly serviced and when was it last serviced?  You may need to change out some sensors/solenoid body if it is experiencing shifting issues.  Generally a 2007/8 MY problem, but never say never, right?

Plugs/coils - again generally a 2007/8 problem.  But ask for service history.  Too many miles on the plugs can ruin the coils which in turn can ruin the PCM.

The big one:  water pump.  If you see slime buildup in the coolant degas/overflow bottle, you will want to either a) walk away, b) negotiate the price down, or c) be prepared to spend approx $1,400 USD to fix it (if not DIY) or replace with a used engine. 

You have dual climate control.  Make sure the heat AND the ac work perfectly, that one side is not blowing hot the other cold etc.

As you can see, getting a good service history is essential.  To me, there are 2 essential tools to take along, actually 3, when checking out a used vehicle:

1) OBD2 scanner - check for codes, make sure P1000 is not set, because that could be hiding issues that will return

2) Solar BA7 tester - for battery/alternator issues

3) paint thickness meter - to check for signs of previous body damage/repair.

I am sure I am missing out on many other things.  With age, many parts come due for replacement.  I personally would have a $5,000 slush fund for the possible fixes that might be needed on ANY used vehicle this old that I intend to keep for the longterm.  HTH.

• Like 1