Drone/Humming sound/feel

baker6

Hopefully someone here has seen of heard of this issue. I have a 2016 Ford Edge SEL with 24k miles. When accelerating whether air temp is hot/cold or engine is hot/cold I get this annoying drone sound. It last for 5-10 seconds and can be felt on the passenger floor board. It sounds like a teenagers Honda Civic with the riceburner exhaust. Have had into my dealer on three different occasions in the last month. They have gone on a drive with me and can hear and feel the noise. Dealer reached out to ford for a service bulletin but nothing came back. Today I picked it from the dealer and was told to "just keep driving it till it gets worse cause we can't fix it."  That is unacceptable to me. Would like to get rid of it but no one would give me anything for it with that noise. Please help if ya can. Thanks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does it kind of sound like an RC Car/ windup toy car noise? ( Ya know the ones you pull back and you hear that little windup noise as you pull the car back on it's wheels before you let it go?) I have a 2011 edge at 149k ( a little older and more broken in, I know. so our issues may differ alot) but I felt I'd post cause I'm not getting any hits on my post, and the "drone/humming noise" sounds similar to what I may be hearing.

Brought it to a mechanic and was told my driveshaft, asked other edge drivers and at first they assumed the PTU but I'm not having any issues that come along with a PTU failure. Just this noise that sounds like an RC car when I drive which came along last week after a rain storm. It doesn't make any noises when I'm in park and rev, nothing in neutral when I rev. only when driving, I even tried switching to neutral and revving while coasting and still the noise stayed at the same pace with my turning wheels. It only increases as my wheels increase in speed and vice versa. But was told my driveshaft could be the issue as it is all worn down, and the mechanic could see no other problem. I'm PRAYING that's it  ( your vehicle is 5 years newer with alot fewer miles but maybe the sound you're hearing is like this?)

• 9 months later...

2019 Edge ST 10,000miles, at roughly 60/70MPH engine not at load I sometimes get a humming that sounds like someone blowing over a large jug opening from the passenger side floor, it goes away in 4/5 seconds or hit the gas and it drops out. Car runs great before during and after, just the very random noise.

• Like 1