Electrical issue

Annette smith

I have a 2014 edge with 70k miles.  Got it in feb 2015 brand new.   Just before the warranty expired in January 2017 the battery died which they replaced. Then in late 2017 it wouldn’t start and I found tons of corrosion.  Cleaned and found positive cable end was cracked so ordered a new one. Good solid connection yet in fall 2019 the battery starts failing again.  Should I expect to replace the battery every two years in this thing?  Or Am I being paranoid?  Oh, btw,  yesterday was rainy and 50’s.  Car just had a fast series of clicks when I tried to leave at lunch.  Said fml and decided to get a jump at quitting time and go get new battery then.  Quitting time rolls around and Oslo and behold it cranks.  I don’t think the battery gained power during this time.   Any recommendations appreciated 

Batteries are critical in these "computer driven" vehicles.  I would think that 2 years is a little early but not unheard of.  The quality of the batteries for sale vary and they vary by brand.  You can have the car tested for parasitic battery drain.  These cars use lots of power when not running.  If changing the battery every two years does the trick than you may have to live with it unless someone finds an excessive power draw when the car is off or your alternator isn't putting out.  If the battery is only dying every 2 years or so than I would suspect the battery is just giving up.  Make sure they are replacing it with the properly rated battery. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 5:15 PM, Annette smith said:

Any recommendations appreciated 

I recommend you purchase and carry a jump starter battery like this one (or similar). https://amzn.to/34KXXGt   It's the 21st century equivalent to old fashioned jumper cables but much easier to use; no second vehicle required.

I keep mine in the storage area with the spare tire but they're small enough to put in a glove box or center console.  Most will jump start a car several times before they need a recharge and have USB ports for charging phones/tablets etc.  The one I linked above was half price on Black Friday so maybe it'll be on sale again for Cyber Monday.  If it isn't then others surely will be.

• Like 2