P0303-C assistance

wlepse

So for the last couple of months my wife's 2011 SEL Edge would seemingly pull timing but never threw a code. Originally I thought it might have something to do with the tone ring that needed replacement. Well after that was fixed it still happened but never threw any codes until about 2 weeks ago when I got a P0303-C. The CEL flashed for about 10 seconds then was gone. I cleared the codes and it finally came back indicating the same cylinder. So while I replaced the plugs about 50k ago with stick platinum plugs I plan on swapping them all out. I also picked up a coil pack to replace the #3 since it is likely on its way out. But I can't seem to find confirmation of which cylinder is which. One source said count from left to right on back bank. The other says to start in same spot but #2 is in front bank. Can someone please confirm which is correct?

In case someone else is searching I am going with the #3 cylinder being in the back bank by the driver. I think the confusion comes in between the difference of cylinder number and firing order.

Cylinder numbers are:

firewall

1 2 3

4 5 6

But firing order is:

firewall

1 3 5

2 4 6

I am going to assume the P0303 references the cylinder number not firing order. I hope this is correct. Below are some of the resources I used to come to this conclusion.

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2011-explorer-xlt-3-5l-v6-tivct-engine-misfire-p0201-p0301-p0316.451787/

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/745073/Ford-Transit-2015.html?page=268

• Like 1

Not sure how much you're going to spend on 1 new COP but this Motorcraft kit comes with all 6 of them for $180.00.  I know the COPs in this kit are the right ones for our 2011 3.5s.  $180.00 is a pretty good deal for 6 of them and it's nice to install 3 new ones in the back while you have the upper intake off.

• Like 1