P0206 and P0306 easy fix???

evh

So i run a quick errand at lunch and get back into my 2009 AWD Edge with 3.5L and 240,000 miles.  I start it and I can tell right away it is running rough.  Put it in gear and it is still running rough.  I can tell it is under powered and running poorly.  I keep my eye on the dash waiting for the check engine light.  After about 30 seconds it comes on and it is flashing.  Uhhggg!.   I pulled over and shut it off. I keep a code reader in my car and read the codes.  P0206 and P0306.  Something is wrong with the 6th cylinder.  Likely something wrong with fuel injector vs coil and spark plug.  I clear the codes.  Start the car.  Still running poorly.  After about 30 seconds the flashing CEL is on again.

I park and head back into work and do some internet research.  I decide to come out and simply unplug the fuel injector connector and plug it back in (corrosion?).  I get in the car and clear the codes again.  I start it (fingers crossed).  Smooth as can be.  I drive 3 miles.  No issues.   I get back and read the codes, nothing.  I drive home 25 miles, smooth and no codes.

Yea, I got lucky.  Simply sharing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First time I changed the spark plugs I about ruined all those (*^$&^ connectors (red tab, etc.).  I finally figured out how they worked after busting 3 or 4 of them.   Could they make the plastic any thinner??? Oddly enough, the one on this cylinder was not broken.  After 11 years XX,000 heat/cool down cycles, some corrosion must have gotten in there.  Class Action!!!!

• Like 1

I was WRONG WRONG WRONG!

Ok, I started this thread and I am still having issues.  My best guess now is my cylinder #6 fuel injector is getting stuck when hot?  Here is some more detail.  Per above, my car was riding rough and throwing a P0206 and P0306.  I thought I had fixed it by going out and disconnecting and reconnecting the electrical connection to the coil??? (I know, makes no sense, let me keep going).  But I did that I got back in and it drove fine.  Well I got in later that day again and drove 25 miles.  No issues.  I stopped for a minute and got back in and started it back up.  Running rough again and throwing P0206 and P0306.  Hmm. I let it sit over night.  In the morning I swapped coils and 5 & 6 and also put new OEM boots on the coils.  Note the spark plugs are all OEM and have 40,000 miles on them.  I started the car and it drove fine.  I drove for a while.  Stopped and restarted.  Running rough and throwing P0206 and P0306.  So the error did not follow the coil.  So the problem seems to occur when the engine is hot.  I did nothing else.  The next morning, when it is cold.  It runs fine.  I have  an appointment to bring it into the dealer on Monday.  I am pretty sure I could pull the rail and replace the injectors.  What do you think?  #6 injector is sticking when hot causing the issue?  Cooling down it frees up?  Try a rail cleaning?  Replace all of them?  I hope not $$$.

You could delay the replacement with Techron Concentrate Plus or similar quality cleaner IF there is a debris issue in the rail or injector.  But given the mileage on your vehicle, the longterm fix is to replace the injector.  If you are DIY'ing, as long as you properly depressurize the fuel system, you should be fine.  Then you can choose to just replace the one injector, or all of them.  If you are paying to have this done, better to replace all of them at one time.

• 2 years later...