Hard to start

Smitty

17 minutes ago, omar302 said:

I believe it is the computer assisted cranking system.

Should there any difference in starting the motor using the CACS or turning and holding the key until the motor starts? I have always used the CACS and lately the motor acts like it is flooding or missing when starting. Once it starts everything runs fine. 

It seems to start fine when I turn and hold the key until the motor starts.

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2019 at 4:11 PM, Smitty said:

Should there any difference in starting the motor using the CACS or turning and holding the key until the motor starts? I have always used the CACS and lately the motor acts like it is flooding or missing when starting. Once it starts everything runs fine. 

It seems to start fine when I turn and hold the key until the motor starts.

I have similar if not the same issue, I try to turn on the vehicle and it just cranks for about 5 to 10 seconds then will start.  I've replaced the spark plugs and EVAP sensor, but not sure what else could be wrong.  I read that there is no serviceable fuel filter, so maybe it's the fuel pump?

I have similar if not the same issue, I try to turn on the vehicle and it just cranks for about 5 to 10 seconds then will start.  I've replaced the spark plugs and EVAP sensor, but not sure what else could be wrong.  I read that there is no serviceable fuel filter, so maybe it's the fuel pump?

Decided to check out the owners manual...I know, shame on me...

Starting the engine

1. Turn the key to 3 (on) without turning the key to 4 (start)

2. Turn the key to 4 (start), then release the key as soon as the engine begins cranking. Your vehicle has a computer assisted cranking system that assists in starting the engine. After releasing the key from 4 (start) position, the engine may continue cranking for up to 10 seconds or until vehicle starts.

So, according to the manual cranking up to 10 seconds is acceptable?

As I mentioned before, mine seems to start ok if I hold the key in the 4 (start) position until it starts. It is when I release the key, as in #2 above and let the CACS do the work that it acts up.

I would not think it is the fuel pump...vehicle runs ok once started. Maybe all of the fuel drains back into the tank and have to wait until it is pump back up to the engine?