Engine RPM jumps to 1,500 while sitting still

frankeplatt

I have a 2007 MKX with 16,000 miles. Great vechicle. I am experiencing a problem that when setting at a stop light/sign, the engine's RPM speed will jump 1,000 RPMs to around 1,500. Several times the increase has been so severe that I had to hold the brake to the point that I experienced a POP and a yellow "wrench" symbol came on the left side of the dash.

The CUV drove so poorly afterwards that I had to pull over to the side of the road and shut off the engine. This reset the wrench symbol.

I've had it to the dealer twice. The first time "no problem". This time, I'm being told it a "normal characteristic of vechicle" to which I called BS.

I've owned many cars and have never had an engine's RPM jump like this.

Anyone else having this experience?

"a normal characteristic of vehicle"

great, so will they stand by that & you when they/you get sued when your car lurches forward at a stop sign and hits a pedestrian because this car revs up and bolts & you can't hold it?

"when setting at a stop light/sign, the engine's RPM speed will jump 1,000 RPMs to around 1,500" + "so severe that I had to hold the brake o the point that I experienced a POP" / car giving you the wrench symbol = very scary situation

That sounds like a pretty bad hiccup. I had a truck that did that but not to that extent when the a/c compressor cycled. It would idle up and even upshift on its own. If no one was behind you, you could end up going 40mph without even touching the gas. Ended up being a bad idle air motor voltage (or something like that)

"a normal characteristic of vehicle"

great, so will they stand by that & you when they/you get sued when your car lurches forward at a stop sign and hits a pedestrian because this car revs up and bolts & you can't hold it?

"when setting at a stop light/sign, the engine's RPM speed will jump 1,000 RPMs to around 1,500" + "so severe that I had to hold the brake o the point that I experienced a POP" / car giving you the wrench symbol = very scary situation

I laughed out loud at the service advisor when he explained "normal characteristic and asked that he put that on paper, which he did. I said I'd be back the next time it happened and that they would need to have a factory representative available to explain how that characteristic is normal for any vehicle.

That sounds like a pretty bad hiccup. I had a truck that did that but not to that extent when the a/c compressor cycled. It would idle up and even upshift on its own. If no one was behind you, you could end up going 40mph without even touching the gas. Ended up being a bad idle air motor voltage (or something like that)

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind the next time I bring it to the dealer.

I have a 2007 MKX with 16,000 miles. Great vechicle. I am experiencing a problem that when setting at a stop light/sign, the engine's RPM speed will jump 1,000 RPMs to around 1,500. Several times the increase has been so severe that I had to hold the brake to the point that I experienced a POP and a yellow "wrench" symbol came on the left side of the dash.

The CUV drove so poorly afterwards that I had to pull over to the side of the road and shut off the engine. This reset the wrench symbol.

I've had it to the dealer twice. The first time "no problem". This time, I'm being told it a "normal characteristic of vechicle" to which I called BS.

I've owned many cars and have never had an engine's RPM jump like this.

Anyone else having this experience?

I just posted a topic in the Maintenance/TSB area about my 2007 Edge needing a new throttle body because the Throttle Position Sensor is screwed up. I have different symptoms but your might be the same problem. Mine would have very erratic RPM jumps while driving down the highway say at 70 mph it would go from 2,000 RPM and then drop down real quick to 1,000 RPM and then back up I am bringing mine in on Thursday to have it fixed.