Rear mirror motor replacement

I have a 2016 MKX that I believe has a bad rear mirror motor. I have purchased the new motor, but need advice removing the mirror glass to access the mirror motor.  I have searched everywhere, but have only found a video that essentially forces the mirror off by reaching behind it and pulling on some clips. I can't really get my fingers behind the mirror glass, and am afraid to force it off the clips for fear of breaking the glass, which is available but very expensive.  Does anyone have advice on how to remove the mirror glass to get access to the motor?

I removed one on my Flex your MKX is probably the same.  The glass just pops on. To remove I had to use a straight blade screwdriver to help release from the mounting, not really enough room to get fingers in. I am sure it can be broken but it did not seem to be that fragile.

Edited by dajo2012

22 hours ago, dajo2012 said:

I removed one on my Flex your MKX is probably the same.  The glass just pops on. To remove I had to use a straight blade screwdriver to help release from the mounting, not really enough room to get fingers in. I am sure it can be broken but it did not seem to be that fragile.

Thanks for the response.  It is hard to see behind the mirror to find those clips.

does the mirror work in one direction only or is it dead all the way?  I had problem with the up/down on mine and found it was the connection on the door.  Jiggle Jiggle and push and all was fine.  I bought a Dorman replacement which was a POS.  I fixed the connection problem and replaced the POS with the original.

The glass just pops out with the plastic frame around it.  It takes some diddling to get it but in is just pops back in. 

Go to eBay and look up the replacement glass.  they usually have pictures of the front and back.  look for the release tabs in the picture to help locate them.  

5 minutes ago, PaulSchott said:

does the mirror work in one direction only or is it dead all the way?  I had problem with the up/down on mine and found it was the connection on the door.  Jiggle Jiggle and push and all was fine.  I bought a Dorman replacement which was a POS.  I fixed the connection problem and replaced the POS with the original.

The glass just pops out with the plastic frame around it.  It takes some diddling to get it but in is just pops back in. 

Go to eBay and look up the replacement glass.  they usually have pictures of the front and back.  look for the release tabs in the picture to help locate them.  

The mirror doesn't move at all. I will try a little more pressure to remove the mirror glass.   Thanks, I will look at eBay.