So many interior rattles! Are they actually fixable?

Andrew B

I really want to love the 2016 Edge Titanium (V6, FWD) I purchased about six months ago. The ride quality, the engine power, the premium stereo, that huge moonroof, the handling... all great.

Here's what's killing me:

It seems like the interior is plagued with lots of annoying rattles and creaks. I get it... everything is plastic these days. But the center console creaks and rattles over the slightest bumps. The interior panels seem to rattle, especially the ones in the far back. The rear seats have a strange rattle, seemingly coming from the headrests. It's maddening!

Anyone else experiencing this? And is there actually a path to fixing these things? Will a dealer do anything other than shrug it off?

Thanks for your insights!

A dealer 'might' have tried to address rattles while you were under the 3/36 warranty.  Unless you extended that you're now on your own.  The solution?  Find someone who's fairly flexible (small helps too) to track down all those little noises while you drive on a bumpy road. 

They'll have to press on panels, maybe use a simple stethoscope (a short length of garden hose works better than you'd think). Open things, close things, adjust seats, adjust headrests, rearrange storage areas etc.  Once noises are identified you'll have to come up with your own solutions that might involve anything from tightening a screw to forcing a little bit of soft foam in between panel joints or even adding sound deadener/padding inside door panels.. 

Should we have to do all this?  No, but we bought a Ford, not a BMW 6 series, a Lexus or, for that matter,  even a Lincoln. 

• Haha 1

I've done a little of that already, mostly in the cargo area and around the spare tire. It helped a little. There are still rattles coming from places (like inside a seat) where I can't even begin to figure out how to get at the problem, much less fix it.

Mostly, I'm curious if others are experiencing the same thing. I've never had this problem before... even with other Fords.

• 2 weeks later...