Here's How To Add An Aftermarket Front Camera

This mod has been posted (with a few updates) to my website at http://gadgetjq.net/Edge/front_camera.html
You'll be able to click thumbnails to see full size images on that page.

Camera_Front.jpg

Gen2 Edge Front Camera Add   
Play It Forward With An Aftermarket Front Camera

Have you ever wished you'd gotten that front camera option with your Gen2 Edge?  Good news, you can add your own with a few carefully chosen parts and just a bit of effort.   Follow along with my installation for a complete 'how to' and a few tips that'll save you some aggravation...guaranteed.

What You'll Need
Ali_Camera_small.jpg,
1. A camera.  There are dozens available that give you a choice of view (from narrow to very wide) whether or not to have guidelines, night vision and much more.  For this install I used a camera designed specifically for the 2015-2016 Edge and purchased it from Ali Express in China.  You might be able to find the same product on eBay but it's still likely to come from China.  Plan on at least three weeks for delivery.

2. A Module. As with cameras there are quite a few options.  You'll definitely want one that works with Sync3.  Beyond that some modules will only Ali_Module_small.jpgadd a single (front) camera while others can add cameras for every side of your Edge (additional cameras install under the rear view mirrors).  Prices range from roughly $150 to crazy.  Just do an online search for "Ford Edge Front Camera" and wade through all the options and prices.  I opted (again) for a product found on Ali Express.  These seem to go on sale quite often.  The module arrived in less than a week. 
This unit will handle multiple cameras if wanted but focuses on the front.  There's a button supplied with the module that lets you turn the camera on at any time.  

3. Tools_Needed_small.jpgA Few Tools.  Nothing fancy needed.  Note in the photo (right) is all you'll need (unless you decide to solder the power wires).  They include:
          1. A soft towel to protect your APIM as you remove it from the dash and for laying it on a work bench/table to connect cables
          2. Plastic panel removal tools.  Yes, a padded screwdriver will work but these sets are less than $5 and you might find them handy for lots of things.
          3. A small flat blade screwdriver or two to help remove connectors
          4. A nut driver or small socket wrench and extension
          5. Two sockets, 7/32 and 7mm.  Yes, I know what kind of crazy is that.  Ford is caught in a land between SAE and Metric.
          6. A wire stripper (whatever you normally use)
          7. A wire cutter
          8. An Add-a-Fuse (for camera power) and a connector for the ground lug.
          9. A couple of feet of fairly stiff wire to help feed the video cable through the firewall
        10. A magnet on a stick to pick up the screws you're going to drop into hidden places
        11. Not necessary but a magnetic tray to keep all your fasteners in one place is a handy addition to your tool cabinet.
        12. A flashlight

Optional: Someone with skinny arms and small hands that you can draft to help in tight areas (behind the glove box for example)

Not so optional: While you're waiting for your parts to arrive watch This YouTube VideoIt will make accessing your APIM so much easier if you're not guessing what to remove in what order and how.  It's very detailed and will take a lot of the apprehension out of doing the job.  If you follow the instructions in this video (remembering patience and finesse trump anger and brawn) you won't break anything.

How To Do It (2 Parts, Camera Install/Module Install)

The Camera

1. I'd suggest not permanently mounting your camera just yet.  You don't know how you'll want to aim it or whether it needs to be flipped (mine was manufactured with the camera upside down).  Just tuck it in the grille or (if your camera has a quick disconnect plug) just set it aside for right now.Fuse_Connection_small.jpg

2. Sort The Wiring.  You're going to have a red and a black wire that will run to a switched source in the right side fuse box (or any other switched wire).  Using an Add-a-Fuse connect the red wire to any circuit you want.  I chose the one pictured just because I've already used two others for earlier projects.  Cut the excess wire from the harness, connect to the Add-a-Fuse and plug it in.   Now run the black (you might have to splice in a little extra) ground wire back to the grounding post on the firewall.  It's just to the right of the battery.

3. Cable_Run_small.jpgThe Other Side of the harness will include a yellow RCA type video plug and a red (trigger) wire.  That's going to go the 'other' direction, over to the passenger side and through the same grommet Ford uses to pass its own harness through.  There are multiple ways you can get that connector from under the hood into the cabin. The 'easy' way is to pull on the grommet until you've got it away from the firewall a little bit.  The PROPER method is to (carefully) cut a hole in the grommet using your wire nippers or other tool.  The perfect spot is the area near the top of the grommet where you'll see a circle.  That area is clear of other wiring behind the grommet (always check to be sure though). 

With your path decided, run a piece of thick (16 or 18 gauge) wire through the opening.  Inside the car you'll lower the glove box all the way (disconnect the soft drop arm on the right then push 'in' on the tabs up top of the opening.  The lid will drop out of your way.  With a helper, push that fish wire into the cabin until the helper can get a (small) arm around the back of the heater assembly and pull a foot or two out.  Tape the wire to your video cable and pull it into the cabin.  Pull enough to reach the center of the car.

4. Your Camera Is (mostly) ready to go.  Time to start working on the other side.

The Module 

1.  When You Receive Your Module you'll also get several pages of instructions.  Some suppliers might provide really great, insightful instructions, others you might have to...uh...do a little interpreting.  Here's a link to view and download the instructions that came with my module choice.  Notice none of it is difficult, you just have to pay attention.

2.  Get comfortable and let's do this!  Follow the video instructions to remove, unplug and reorient center console parts so you can remove the APIM.  With that out, head for a workbench or table (with towel for padding) and begin removing connections from the back.  Don't force anything!  Every connector in my '16 Edge came part easily with just a little bit of wiggling.  Use a small screwdriver if you need to to press latches.

3. Identify your connections go ahead and plug in the giant cable that connects the APIM to the original big cable in the car.  Also go ahead and connect the video cable (two plugs will probably connect to your APIM.  A single plug on the other end of the cable will connect to the 'one' plug you removed from the back of the APIM but don't Test_Fit_small.jpgconnect it yet.  The rest of the connections you might want to test fit but don't lock anything in just yet.  You'll find out why in the next step.

4. Carry your APIM and Module to the car.  Here's a HUGE tip that'll save you a bunch of time and head scratching.  That module and all those cables will NOT ever, not never, no way no how fit into the space you have behind the APIM.  Take a look at the photo (right).  I tried.  I folded, I bundled and I stuffed but as you might have heard, two objects can not occupy the same space at the same time.  So it is with this.  Good news, there's PLENTY of space just to the right of the passenger side air vent.  Module_Ready_small.jpg

5. Take a look at the area above the glove box and to the right of the passenger side air vent.  There's a nice metal brace there that makes a perfect shelf for the module.  With your APIM connected to the large cable and the video cable run the additional harness wiring through the opening to the right of where the APIM nestles and into the empty space above the glove box.  Now start connecting things (photo right) with an eye toward threading the module up into the space (everything connected). 

6. Module_Installed_small.jpgWith Everything Still Loose it's time for a test.  If you haven't already done so, connect your camera to the harness under the hood.  Press your Start button once.  Your APIM should start just as it normally does.  Now, if your module came with a button to activate the front camera press it.  If yours uses a different function (some use the radio on/off button, others use one of the steering wheel buttons) press it.  If everything is connected properly you should have a picture from your front camera.  Don't worry if it's not aimed correctly or even upside down.  You can fix that later.   If it worked it's time to tidy up.  First, move the module up into its final resting place (pic right) held in place by a couple of long Zip ties. 

7. Replace your APIM carefully tucking in that big cable and any other wiring from your interface.  DO NOT force anything.  With the module over above the glove box there's now plenty of room.  With the APIM in place (no screws yet) do another test just to be sure everything functions as expected (again, don't worry about the camera aiming).

8. Button Everything Up re-assembling your console in the reverse order you removed everything.  If you can do this without dropping one of those 7/32 screws into the dark unknown of the console you're doing better than me.  ;)

9. If necessary start working on the camera to get it right where you want it.  Again, how you do this will be dictated by the camera you chose.  If the video was upside down you just have to turn the lens 180 degrees with some cameras.  Others you might have to take apart and flip (aren't you glad you didn't tighten everything down a the beginning?  Lock the camera down when you're happy with what you're seeing.  Zip tie everything, cover wiring with some loom to make it look pretty.

10.  You're Done! 

Test_Run_small.jpg  Camera_Parked_small.jpg
_

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, txaggie said:

Nicely done!  does the software still turn the camera off at a certain speed? (my '19 ST does)

This module does not.  The front camera comes on for 10 seconds after moving the shifter from Reverse to any other position.  So, backing out of the driveway I have the normal rear camera then putting the transmission in Drive I'm getting front camera for a few seconds.  It's a little wonky and some aftermarket modules 'do' turn the front camera off around 10 mph.

• 3 months later...

Great post, thanks. Was looking for an OEM solution for my 2020 SEL but couldn't find any. 

Will probably go with something similar once cameras start to pop up for the 2019/2020 models in AliExpress.

Will the same module and camera work on the 2020 model? And how is the camera holding up?

13 hours ago, Quartz121 said:

Will the same module and camera work on the 2020 model? And how is the camera holding up?

The module will work fine in any Sync3 system.  The camera I used has an adapter that fits the 2015-2018 grille but if you're at all handy you can adapt most any camera to fit the later grille.  They're really small.   My installation is only 3 months old but works perfectly, no issues at all. 

• 7 months later...

Hey there,

I'm John, proud owner of an USA - Ford Edge. I've importet it to Germany because in Europe you can't buy Petrol Engines (only Diesel)

There are a lot of differences and a lot of problems to be solved.

German regulations are horrible.

And Ford EU doesn't cooperate with Ford US. ?

But that's another topic.

Now I found this Tutorial after a long time of searching the Internet.

It's exactly what I was looking for! 

Absolutely perfekt!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Unfortionately the Links don't work. I also can't find anything on your Homepage about this thread.

Is it possible to update the Pictures and Links?

Most Important would be the part about the Module. I can't find the right one on AliExpress.

P.S. please excuse my bad english ?

best regards

John

9 hours ago, John H said:

Unfortionately the Links don't work. I also can't find anything on your Homepage about this thread.

Hi John,

That's odd, the links don't work and all the photos have vanished from this thread.  

No problem, the tutorial 'is' on my web page ( https://www.gadgetjq.net/edge/index.html ) It's the first item on the left  Here's a direct link to the camera page: https://www.gadgetjq.net/edge/Front_Camera_Edge/front_camera.html

The link to the camera at AliExpress is https://bit.ly/3s2CTGp and for the module it's changed to  https://bit.ly/3duMZM6

Cheers!

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Like 2