Motor help

Ejrivar

Just bought a 2011 edge limited in December. Lastnight I had to go rescue my wife. I get to where she is and start it and it sounded horrendous. Sounded like banging in the motor mechanically. I was tied to a shop today they haven’t looked at it yet just said it sounds bad. Anyone have any similar issues. It had oil in the motor and it had antifreeze in the overflow tank thing. Her oil press sensor has been coming on the past week or so on and off I thought it was a bad sensor I don’t k ow if it was related. Anyone have any thoughts? 

16 minutes ago, Ejrivar said:

Her oil press sensor has been coming on the past week or so on and off I thought it was a bad sensor I don’t k ow if it was related. Anyone have any thoughts? 

Pretty obvious it is related.

A low pressure indication  light should always be assumed to be legit until such time it has been proven otherwise with a pressure gauge, or a new switch.

If a low pressure oil light comes on, the driver should be taught that means immediate engine turn off.

My thoughts are that you need a new engine.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ejrivar said:

Even tho it had full oil?

The light that came on is a low oil pressure indication and that means STOP - it's not an oil level indicator - take a look at the owners manual.

Although the owners manual covers this, I believe it should be a little more persuasive.

If the engine was shut off immediately the first time the low oil pressure light cam on, you would not be facing the cost of a new engine.

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 7.30.15 PM.jpg

Edited by 1004ron

Even if I had said stop shut it off my wife would not of listened anyway but it was like coming on and off it wasn’t like on solid got days it would b for a min or 2 and go away and it also went off after I started it once took like 20 seconds or so that led me to believe a bad sensor

1 hour ago, Ejrivar said:

Even if I had said stop shut it off my wife would not of listened anyway but it was like coming on and off it wasn’t like on solid got days it would b for a min or 2 and go away and it also went off after I started it once took like 20 seconds or so that led me to believe a bad sensor

Bad interpretation on your part with regards the light - coming on and off while the engine is running means that the pressure was switching from above and below the minimum pressure required for the engine to operate safely.

The light should always be assumed to be legit until such time it has been proven otherwise with a pressure gauge.

The light on for a minute or two is enough to do damage and a couple more to destroy the engine.

My guess is that your wife will agree to listen when she sees the repair bill.