First Oil Change

handfiler

I did the first oil change last night and while I was at it I installed the Ronin easy drain valve at the same time. Oil looked good at only 1,268 km but oil life was down to 17%.

The entire process was straightforward and I managed to not spill any oil during the process. There are enough YouTube videos out there that show you how not to do it. ?

I found it awkward to control the out flow by holding the drain plug in a partially removed position while lying on my back under the car. The oil is hot and and its generally a PITA!

Being able to control the rate of flow and being able to direct it into the drain pan with a 5/8 hose attached to the drain tool should make things a lot easier the next time.

This drain valve is also convenient for extracting small quantities of oil for oil analysis samples. All in all this drain valve is well thought out and well made. Not cheap but worth it IMHO.

I'll add some more images of the drain process when I do the next oil change but that could be a while at the rate I put on the miles.

20200526_192301_HDR.jpg

20200526_205747.jpg

20200526_211218.jpg

• Like 6

• 11 months later...

Here is the followup after doing the second oil change. I only do annual oil changes due to low usage so here are my thoughts on the Ronin drain valve:

1 - It's super easy to use, just remove the protective cap, screw in the drain tool and let it go.

2 - The flow is steady but takes a few minutes to drain vs a few seconds with the factory drain plug.

3 - No chance of getting hot oil on your hand ?

By the time you finish installing the oil filter you can remove the drain tool and reinstall the cap.

I bought some 5/8" clear hose to attach to the drain tool. I didn't bother using it and it's not necessary, not a drop was spilled.

That oil came out looking so clean that I should consider repurposing it by using it in my winter beater ?

20210502_134221.jpg

• Like 3