Joys of Old Cars

PaulSchott

I have 2 old cars and enjoy the fact that I also have 0 car payments. First old car is a 2002 Grand Cherokee.  Last month it needed a new radiator.  I noticed the antifreeze smell and saw a small crack in the upper tank. This car is a genuine pain to replace the radiator.  I used to be a do it yourself guy but I'm getting too old and lazy to do it myself.  Ok $600 bucks later it's fixed.  A week later it's getting warm but the A/C doesn't work.  get all pissed off at the repair shop figuring they didn't recharge the system.  I am wrong, it has a full charge and the compressor is running.  The only problem is that it runs but it doesn't pump Freon.  First quote is for over a grand.  I bought the compressor rebuilt on eBay for about $180 and he installed it for $300 plus tax.  OK another $500. 

Now to my 2007 Edge.  Misfire on CYL #2.  I already bought the plugs and coil boot set for about $100 on eBay.  If it was CYL 4,5or 6 I would have done it myself of course It's CYL#2.  I did the plugs at about 90,000 miles now it has 150,000 so we do the plugs and boots plus a new coil at $160 at the shop because I'm old and lazy. Another $400.  Oh yeah, he also remounted and balanced a tire for $20 included in the price.

I'm so happy not to have payments.  They have been replaced by repair bills.

Sorry for my bitching,  Now all I need to do is replace the brakes on the Edge and I should be done.  Yeah Right LOL?

I hear ya brother. I'm retired and have the Ford garage do all my work. For both my old cars (2009 MKX & a 2004 Chrysler Sebring convertible). Everything.

I'm too old, too lazy and I can afford it. 

Besides my 09 is still under warranty for the next 3 years - with $0 deductible, so ....... in she goes for every little thing. (The power lumbar just went out on the passenger seat. So she goes in week after next. Thinking $400-$500 as they have to pull the seat out, then pull out the entire mechanism inside the seat back and replace it with a new mechanism).

Old cars that are well cared for are great. Just think of making $400/month payments vs. $500 year for upkeep and repair. Of course there are years where you spend more, but still ....

BTW, I wouldnt trust parts off Ebay. Even the Motorcraft parts are known to be fakes. (Amazon too). Unless it's a cost factor, if I were you, I'd buy off Rock Auto. Costs a little more, but you can rest assured your getting quality.

On 7/11/2020 at 3:34 PM, enigma-2 said:

I hear ya brother. I'm retired and have the Ford garage do all my work. For both my old cars (2009 MKX & a 2004 Chrysler Sebring convertible). Everything.

I'm too old, too lazy and I can afford it. 

Besides my 09 is still under warranty for the next 3 years - with $0 deductible, so ....... in she goes for every little thing. (The power lumbar just went out on the passenger seat. So she goes in week after next. Thinking $400-$500 as they have to pull the seat out, then pull out the entire mechanism inside the seat back and replace it with a new mechanism).

Old cars that are well cared for are great. Just think of making $400/month payments vs. $500 year for upkeep and repair. Of course there are years where you spend more, but still ....

BTW, I wouldnt trust parts off Ebay. Even the Motorcraft parts are known to be fakes. (Amazon too). Unless it's a cost factor, if I were you, I'd buy off Rock Auto. Costs a little more, but you can rest assured your getting quality.

The compressor came from a dealer with over 31,000 sales and 100% feedback. You can check them out, they are THEACCOMPRESSORSHOP.  You can shop safely on eBay.  Yeah, you do have to watch out, but if your careful and read feedback you can get a good idea of who you are dealing with.  I have dealt with Rock Auto and they really screwed me on  a new back bumper for the Jeep.  Crap replacement part and a fortune to ship it.  It's getting chalky and its only 3 years old.  The front is original and it looks like new except for where my wife keeps hitting the lawnmower with it.

I guess everyone has a different experience buying online.  It's like going to a great restaurant and getting a bad meal.  You don't ever go back. (unless someone else is paying lol)