Lower BJs

So my 11 Edge was in need of struts and the lower BJ boots were toast so I figured why not press in some new BJs.  The old ones pressed out and some new Moog joints pressed in without issue however the snap ring that came with the new ball joints won't snap on as the groove is too low in the ball joint.  Now the factory ball joints had no snap ring and replacement arms don't come with snap rings either.  I'm thinking they should be fine without.  It took alot of force to press them in.  The press in from the bottom up so the weight of the car would always be forcing downward on them anyhow.

Thoughts?

• 1 year later...
On 7/11/2020 at 7:12 PM, dave151 said:

So my 11 Edge was in need of struts and the lower BJ boots were toast so I figured why not press in some new BJs.  The old ones pressed out and some new Moog joints pressed in without issue however the snap ring that came with the new ball joints won't snap on as the groove is too low in the ball joint.  Now the factory ball joints had no snap ring and replacement arms don't come with snap rings either.  I'm thinking they should be fine without.  It took alot of force to press them in.  The press in from the bottom up so the weight of the car would always be forcing downward on them anyhow.

Thoughts?

Just wanted to comment I just went through the exact same issue. I purchased moog problem solver ball joints, I thought I was the only person who had this problem , glad I’m not the only one.  I did leave a detailed review on Amazon about the issue with pictures. 

I used the same mind set as you pertaining to the originals not having the snap ring. I’ve put on about 5000km of normal driving and no issues 

D1188CB4-F6FE-44FD-A5A1-545CF9FB60D9.jpeg

76953BB7-E886-4DA3-B8C7-7B632269E538.jpeg

2FFC8810-6456-423C-B880-A89F339D0962.jpeg

900BDBCD-AA65-4621-A158-3B24AE406B23.jpeg

Edited by Jtrudel90
Pictures added