Blue Smoke - That Can't be Good...

SteveW

We started up our 08 Edge after it sat still in the driveway for 2 days, and when I started it, two big clouds of blue smoke came out of both exhausts. :blink: The blue smoke came out for about 6 or 7 seconds, and then switched to normal exhaust colour. Anyone else experience this? We only have 13,000+ km on it, so I can't imagine there's a bad valve seal.... Hasn't done it since, but hasn't been unused as long either.

I'll mention it next service visit, but you know, if it's not doing it right then and there....

- S

So its not some James Bond option ?

If it hasn't done it again it might have been just a "breaking in" thing but given the age and mileage I doubt it.

I would absolutely make sure the next time you take it in for service do the following.

1) try and make it during cold weather. If the engine gets really cold this might help recreate a bad seal

2) leave the vehicle overnight at the dealer prior to service

3) make sure the exact problem is noted on the work order in the words YOU want to describe it. Request that a mechanic inspect the car

when it is first started as this is likely the time any noticeable smoke will be seen. If a car jockey fires it up and moves it in to the

bay your chance of recreating the problem is likely zero.

I have not had any problems and none of the coworkers have had any issues like this so it hopefully is just a one time thing for you.

Get it noted in case you have problems down the road. If its not on paper, it never happened.

(Note, I know several people that had Taurus engines fail and Ford stonewalled them in spite of a published recall and tech bulletin. My sister in law took them to small claims court and won full costs for the tow/rental/engine rebuild etc...)

blue generally means oil related. like oil is entering the cylinders which means a failed gasket/seal of some type most likely - so it very well could be a bad cylinder seal. not only that.. what exactly is "normal exhaust color".. there should be no "exhaust color" :)

Sorry, by normal exhaust colour, I mean the usual steam/moisture you see for the first few seconds after starting the vehicle as the exhaust system warms up - morning temps are getting in the 5-10 C here now.

So its not some James Bond option ?

If it hasn't done it again it might have been just a "breaking in" thing but given the age and mileage I doubt it.

I would absolutely make sure the next time you take it in for service do the following.

1) try and make it during cold weather. If the engine gets really cold this might help recreate a bad seal

2) leave the vehicle overnight at the dealer prior to service

3) make sure the exact problem is noted on the work order in the words YOU want to describe it. Request that a mechanic inspect the car

when it is first started as this is likely the time any noticeable smoke will be seen. If a car jockey fires it up and moves it in to the

bay your chance of recreating the problem is likely zero.

I have not had any problems and none of the coworkers have had any issues like this so it hopefully is just a one time thing for you.

Get it noted in case you have problems down the road. If its not on paper, it never happened.

(Note, I know several people that had Taurus engines fail and Ford stonewalled them in spite of a published recall and tech bulletin. My sister in law took them to small claims court and won full costs for the tow/rental/engine rebuild etc...)

Yeah, I've seen it happen four or five times now. Have an apt with the dealer next week. They want me to leave it there parked outside over night, and for me to be there the next morning when they start her up. Oil level is still top of the crosshatch, so it's not burning too much. We'll see what comes out of all of this. At least we have started a history on the issue for the future.

- S

• 2 months later...
We started up our 08 Edge after it sat still in the driveway for 2 days, and when I started it, two big clouds of blue smoke came out of both exhausts. :blink: The blue smoke came out for about 6 or 7 seconds, and then switched to normal exhaust colour. Anyone else experience this? We only have 13,000+ km on it, so I can't imagine there's a bad valve seal.... Hasn't done it since, but hasn't been unused as long either.

I'll mention it next service visit, but you know, if it's not doing it right then and there....

- S

Sounds like valve seals to me.