DIY Turbo Swap?

dheinle

I’m wondering if anyone has replaced the turbo on the 2.0l ecoboost themselves?

I ordered the turbo and have the Ford workshop manual already. 

I watched several YouTube videos on replacing the turbo on an Explorer. Once they disconnected everything, they removed the turbo by pulling it up, after removing a shock tower brace. 

It doesn’t look like there is a way to get the turbo out the top on the Edge. After looking around underneath, I question how to get it out from below. 

Before I start taking this apart, just curious how to get the turbo out? 

The workshop manual doesn’t actually say how to get the turbo out of the engine bay. 

Any info, links, or help would be appreciated. 

• 3 weeks later...

What year is your Edge, and why are you switching out the turbo? If you are going to a bigger turbo, I don't think you'd gain any power as a tune is required. Livernois is the only company that I know of that works with the 2.0 Edge, and I'm not sure if they will do work with a non-factory turbo.

If it's a stock turbo swap, I'm not exactly sure what the process entails. I'm thinking that you'd have to pull the motor to access the turbo?

It was a 2013, I thought it had the broken waste gate issue. Error code P0299.But then the check engine light went off. 

I could not find any info on how to get the turbo out. I saw one post that said you had to drop the subframe. I was not willing to do that. 

I traded it in for something else. Ironically with the same engine, but 7 years newer.

• 1 year later...