Check Charging System light

Tim Glass

The check charging light came on about 6 months ago. I replaced the battery and alternator and it went away for a while. Now it displays intermittently while driving. It seems to be getting progressively worse over the past month because it used to come on for about 10 seconds and then go away. Now it is staying on longer, which atleast this way I can try to diagnose the problem. 

I was finally able to get the light to stay on while sitting in my garage to test it with a multimeter. While RUNNING the voltage is 12.0v and while OFF it creeps up to about 12.35v.

This is backwards to what should happen and I'm honestly a little puzzled by it. The new alternator I bought was a remanufactured one. Apparently the Edge has an internal voltage regulator, what are the odds the remanufacturing company did not replace or test the regulator? 

My guess is that I'm going to have to go through the painstaking process of replacing the alternator again, but wanted to reach out for help to see if anyone else had any ideas?

On my 2001 focus from years ago, I went through 3 alternators before I found one that wasn't bad. 

Have them test the alternator before purchase. I got 2 from Napa & 1 from Advance before I got wise & had them test it before I installed it for a 4th time. Never had to replace it, I sold it about 6 years after that. 

• Like 2