Induction System Cleaning

Dmtaurus

the biggest fear is excess carbon chunking into the turbos after the cleaner lets them rip loose.  ecoboosts generally do not suffer as badly as many other brands.

BUT the wise thing to do is borescope the cylinders prior to an induction process.  If done every 3 years/36K from mile 0, the risk is minimal.  If you want to be sure tho ...

If there is substantial buildup, best to do some kind of media blasting directly rather than induction cleaning.

I use the OTC cannister unit and fuel injector cleaner, and induction system cleaner, on my naturally aspirated Taurus 3.5 and it works well.  But with your answer on the induction part it sounds like a no-no and not the right solution.  But now, I am curious about the need for, and the use of, OTC injector cleaner for using it on the direct injector set-up of this engine, if it should be done as routine maintenance.

there is no proven "need" on ecoboost engines.  but will it keep the valves clean? yes.  will it prevent misfires due to carbon breaking off and disrupting combustion, or due to valves not closing completely? yes.

definitely a routine maintenance item IF you want to go this route.  if you are unsure, take it to a pro, or leave well enough alone.