Sell me on the Ford Edge Sport

mateo8

Hello everyone, my mom is looking for a new car and she has tasked me for the research of her new car.  My dad and I do all the maintenance on all the cars (so DIY maintenance ease is key), but we do tend to buy cars that are enthusiast oriented (daily is a 97 4Runner with 5-speed and factory locker, while weekend car is a 1/1 RHD 2000 BMW 540it).  She loved her '03 Tahoe and wants another one, but likes the looks of the Edge Sport.  I have not researched this nearly enough, and am willing to learn much more, but I would like to know more about the common problems of these cars as well as their DIY maintenance difficulty.  She has a very open mind, she just wants to evaluate all her options.  As the title states, "Sell me on the Edge Sport"

11 hours ago, mateo8 said:

Hello everyone, my mom is looking for a new car and she has tasked me for the research of her new car.  My dad and I do all the maintenance on all the cars (so DIY maintenance ease is key), but we do tend to buy cars that are enthusiast oriented (daily is a 97 4Runner with 5-speed and factory locker, while weekend car is a 1/1 RHD 2000 BMW 540it).  She loved her '03 Tahoe and wants another one, but likes the looks of the Edge Sport.  I have not researched this nearly enough, and am willing to learn much more, but I would like to know more about the common problems of these cars as well as their DIY maintenance difficulty.  She has a very open mind, she just wants to evaluate all her options.  As the title states, "Sell me on the Edge Sport"

Show her the Explorer Sport as well.  It’s RWD and 400 hp.

Only current issues on the Edge Sport is some still complain about the transmission shifting but it appears Ford reduced a gear for the 2021 Sports so that may have fixed the problem.  Just do a thorough test drive including manual and sport modes to see how it feels.

The other historical problem is the PTU but this part is also new and may not have the same issue.  Worst case you just need to change the fluid once every year or two.