Emission Line with Sensor

Dmtaurus

My 2015 Edge fwd has a dash lamp lit. I had it to the dealer and the dealer said that the plastic line with the vacuum sensor, that runs from the gas tank to the charcoal canister, needs replaced because the sensor in the line is bad, at a cost of about $375.00.  The dealer said the gas tank has to be dropped to uncouple the line and remove it from the tank.  Is that true?  I was hoping to find a removable access panel under the rear seat to get to the coupling so it could be disconnected and the line fished out.  Otherwise, I am thinking of buying a new plastic line assembly and splicing a section of the new line and sensor into the old line, and joining both with a piece of fuel line and clamps.

I don't think there's an access panel on the 2015 any longer. 

As for "jury-rigging" a fuel vent line, no. I'd never think of doing a half-assed fix with anything related with gasoline. Think accidient. Think future owner coming back on you. Think failure and Ford voiding warranties. I would never think of doing this. Be safe and pay the piper.

• Like 1

Yeah, I saw the price and will order that.  I can cut the line just before the sensor and after the last 180 degree bend, remove that end and release the other end at the charcoal cannister, and slip an emission-grade hose as a splice over the lines and use spring clamps over the ends.  I can't see anything wrong with that as long as the hose is emission grade.  NAPA sells that grade of hose.  Ford did another mechanic blunder when they put a sensor in area where it cannot be easily replaced without major disassembly effort.  I wish these engineers had to work on what they design; that might stop some of this stupidity. 

• Like 1