2017 Edge with the annoying P0456

RyanJones4210

Good afternoon!  I have been looking all over, and to be frank, my knowledge of the Edge generations is pretty bad.  I have been searching all over to find a definitive answer for this P0456 error.  I have it, I cleared it, it came back.  Fine, so it looks like it is the Purge Valve.  However, I cannot find anyone that has a 2016 or 2017, or 2018 Ford Edge 2.0L that has had this problem that can show me what the part is. I have seen it on the side of the engine, back against the firewall, someone even said it was in the back near the passenger rear wheel. Can someone please tell me what I should replace first and can I even buy the darn part as I have also seen where people said it has been discontinued by Bosch and it cannot be found...  Please, I am begging you guys, please help me out!!!  I usually can find this stuff, but since I don't know if the 2013 or even the 2015 Edge use the same engine I don't want to take the chance and start tearing down the wrong things and then be completely screwed.  Thank you all in advance for any light/help you can shed on this aggravating issue.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry, I never got a notification on this post!  Yes, everything looks good, it all seals up, no smells of gas anywhere.  Another big problem is that after a fill up of gas the car doesn't want to start easily.. It briefly starts and then stalls out. Then it takes another 3 or 4 tries to get the car started, runs rough for about 30-45 seconds and then does fine until the next fill up. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/2/2021 at 12:10 PM, RyanJones4210 said:

Good afternoon!  I have been looking all over, and to be frank, my knowledge of the Edge generations is pretty bad.  I have been searching all over to find a definitive answer for this P0456 error.  I have it, I cleared it, it came back.  Fine, so it looks like it is the Purge Valve.  However, I cannot find anyone that has a 2016 or 2017, or 2018 Ford Edge 2.0L that has had this problem that can show me what the part is. I have seen it on the side of the engine, back against the firewall, someone even said it was in the back near the passenger rear wheel. Can someone please tell me what I should replace first and can I even buy the darn part as I have also seen where people said it has been discontinued by Bosch and it cannot be found...  Please, I am begging you guys, please help me out!!!  I usually can find this stuff, but since I don't know if the 2013 or even the 2015 Edge use the same engine I don't want to take the chance and start tearing down the wrong things and then be completely screwed.  Thank you all in advance for any light/help you can shed on this aggravating issue.

you can test the valve when you take it out by trying to blow air through it from where the back hose connects (the one with the green tab) if you can blow air through then replace the valve.  Just had to do this yesterday, solved my issue, but I was getting p1450 code, but had the exact same issue with not starting after fill up.

also, check out the other threads relating to p1450 on here.

I ended up buying the purge valve assembly for a 2015 fusion and just swapping out the purge valve and reused my existing hoses.  It’s about $60 cheaper than the assembly for the edge.

Edited by mbritten