2008 Ford Edge Limited Bass and Treble stop working during listening

I have a 2008 Ford Edge Limited AWD and I have an issue with the sound system. When listening to music sometimes the Bass and Treble just stop working making the music sound awful. I found that turning off the stereo system then turning it back on after a second or two fixes the issue, but this problem occurs very often for me (about 2-3 times on a 3 mile drive). I believe the sound amplifier is the issue but I don't know where to locate the amp or which one I should purchase. Can anyone help with this issue? thanks. 

Edited by Benny B 123

The preamp is where such tone controls as bass, treble and equalization control the audio signal that adjusts the sound to the internal amp. These amps are enclosed in the Audio Control Unit (the radio).

You could try a reset (pull negitive terminal of battery for 10 minutes) or reset via menu.

If it were me, I'd replace the head unit with one off ebay.  $50 for 6-disk or $275 for navigation. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 12:47 AM, enigma-2 said:

The preamp is where such tone controls as bass, treble and equalization control the audio signal that adjusts the sound to the internal amp. These amps are enclosed in the Audio Control Unit (the radio).

You could try a reset (pull negitive terminal of battery for 10 minutes) or reset via menu.

If it were me, I'd replace the head unit with one off ebay.  $50 for 6-disk or $275 for navigation. 

Welp I tried disconnecting the negative battery wire for 10 minutes with no success to I bought a new stereo and installed it. issue still occurring. any other options?

Edited by Benny B 123

It seems unlikely that a second unit would show exactly the same faults. If the head unit isn't the cause (most likely cause) possibly a fault in one or more speakers. There is a way to put the head unit into a test mode, to test the speakers for proper output.

If the replacement unit is a oem Ford type, you could try an all-around test. 

The walk-around test mode is where you put the audio system into a test mode where each speaker is tested one-at-a-time.

To enter the speaker walk-around test or audio unit self-diagnostic mode, the audio unit must be turned on and in radio tuner mode (AM/FM).

To enter the speaker walk-around test, simultaneously press and hold the audio unit preset buttons 3 and 6 for approximately 3 seconds, then release.

The speaker walk-around test applies sound to each speaker for about 1.5 seconds. Each speaker is tested and displayed on the audio unit in the following sequence: RF, LF, LR, RR. 

Be forewaned that the sound is turned up loud. 

If you choose, you can switch to the 

Audio Unit Self-Diagnostic Mode.

To enter the following tests, press the desired preset button while in the speaker walk-around test.

The audio unit self-diagnostic mode has 5 tests available:

• Preset Button 1 = Audio internal / external SELF TEST. This test is an on-demand self-test. If SELF FAIL is displayed, press TUNE > to scroll through the DTCs stored. Refer to the Audio Unit DTC Index. If the system is OK, SELF PASS will be displayed.

• Preset Button 2 = View/Clear continuous DTCs. NO DTCS is displayed if no DTCs are retrieved. If DTCS FOUND is displayed, press TUNE > to view the DTCs retrieved. Refer to the Audio Unit Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index. To clear all DTCs, press the EJECT button. DTCS CLEAR will be displayed.

• Preset Button 3 = SIGNAL TEST. This test measures the average strength at the current tuner setting. ** Perfect for testing antenna types and position changes. **

• Preset Button 4 = Software level query. This test queries each audio system controller for its software configuration level. SOFT LEVELS will be displayed upon completion of the query. Press TUNE > to scroll view the software configuration version level.

• Preset Button 5 = DISPLAY TEST. This test will light all the audio unit display segments for 5 seconds. When the test is complete, DISPLAY TEST is displayed on the bezel.

5. To exit the self-diagnostic mode, press the power button on the audio unit or turn the key to the OFF position.

Audio Unit DTC Index:
DTC - Description - Action

B1317 - Battery Voltage High - CHECK the charging system.

B1318 - Battery Voltage Low - CHECK the charging system.

B1342 - ECU Is Faulted - CLEAR the DTC. CARRY OUT the self-test. If DTC B1342 is retrieved again, REMOVE the audio unit and SEND it to an authorized audio system repair facility.

B2406 - Audio Disc CD Player Internal Fault - CLEAR the DTC. CARRY OUT the self-test. If DTC B2406 is retrieved again, REMOVE the audio unit and SEND it to an authorized audio system repair facility.

B2477 - ECU Configuration Failure - CLEAR the DTC. CARRY OUT the self-test. If DTC B2477 is retrieved again, REMOVE the audio unit and SEND it to an authorized audio system repair facility. REFER to Section 415-01 . TEST the system for normal operation.

B2924 Audio Button Stuck INSPECT the audio unit for a stuck button and REPAIR the concern, if possible. CLEAR the DTC. CARRY OUT the self-test. If DTC B2924 is retrieved again, REMOVE the audio unit and SEND it to an authorized audio system repair facility.

B2965 - Audio System Speaker Circuit Fault - See Ford Factory Service Manual for troubleshooting steps

If you installed an aftermarket unit, the diagnostics modes will be listed in the owners manual.