Ford Edge 2008 steering wheel replacement.

I'm looking to replace my steering wheel (given that there is a recall for the airbag on the driver side as well, I could do both at once) but the part number I'm looking from my dealer, 8T4TZ3600BE, doesn't seem to be the right one. They gave me one probably to get rid of me, as I refused to pay $800 bucks to replace my spark plugs and rubber boots, insane, no way Jose....but the array of media buttons on the right side doesn't seem to be the right one, it looks more like the 8T4Z3600CF pictured below...Could anybody gimme a hand with this? Also how to remove it and reinstall it safely? Do we actually need to remove the battery terminals, I do not want to lose my sync/radio settings...maybe they are all alike but this one was listed as 2009 model, and I want to get the right one...any help guys!!!!

s-l1600.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The steering wheel is a critical part, mainly because it contains the air bag. You will need to obtain a factory service manual to do a proper job, its not a simple pull and mount, like in the old days (I had done several). I have the service manual for my 09 and it's quite involved. 

May I ask why you want to change your steering wheel? If it's from wear around the rim, you could just use a good quality leather wrap and get by for $20 or so. The switches are replaceable without pulling the wheel as well. 

Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Steering-Wheel-Cover-PU-Leather-Black-Anti-Slip-for-38CM-15-wheel-Cover-/372731063726?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

$800 for plugs seems slightly high (but not unreasonable). I had mine done with the 90k tune up and think they charged thereabouts $660 (couple of years ago, or so). Problem is, you have to disassemble part of the engine to gain access to the coils and plugs on the back side. It's a job, but doable if your a good mechanic. But don't put it off as worn plugs have large gaps & need to draw extra current to fire. Extra current creates heat in the coils. If they get too hot, they fry. (Open or short). If just one shorts, it can also take out your PPM (engine computers). (And all of that can get to be very expensive).

If it's difficult to lay out that kind of money, Ford offers a credit card (you can apply right at the service desk) and one year NO INTEREST. That's OPM! $800/12 months = $67 a month. Something to think about. (I use it every time I have my MKX serviced just to get the free interest.)

The wheel is looking old and worn, but the airbag was recalled under the warranty so the dealer has to replace it anyways....so I was thinking to maybe drop the sterring wheel for them to replace it, along with the airbag, which needs to be replace by them at no charge anyways, I have seen the process and it is just one nut in the center,,,the switches comes with the new wheel, so I think it will be a plug and play connector if it is the same....
the spark plugs and rubber boots I have only 65K miles on my Edge, and I have absolutely no sings of any kind of them being bad or even hesitating, rumbling, vibrating, misfiring, nothing....on top is not that I want to save money, it is that due the pandemic, no dealers have appointments on my area anyways, and there is shortage of mechanics, I do not want Joe with no experience doing any job on my car....I prefer to pay a seasoned mechanic that know what is doing....

The steering wheel they quoted (~$300) is probably the correct one. It comes without the switches, air bag or any add on parts (just the basic wheel). You move those parts over from the old wheel.

Amazing you only have 65k miles on an 08, but hey! You will not need plugs until around 90k.

But I would strongly recommend changing coolant to new green (full flush), tranny drain and fill, new brake, pwr steering and differential fluids. PTU flush and fill (every 30k) if you have AWD. All fluids get old, especially after 13 years. (Oxidize, pick up moisture, loose additives, etc).

The wheel you see on the picture is the one they are selling on eBay, it is new, and it comes with everything except the airbag, price is less than 300, and all switches and connectors are included...I recently had to replace at the dealer, the fans, and the radiator, as the old dealer, while replacing the fan, put an screw into the radiator, it never leaked as it was plugging the hole, but once the new mechanic tried to replace the shot fans, and unscrewed that, boila, antifreeze all over the place...replaced transmission fluid, the power steering fluid, PTU and differential fluids, etc...the antifreeze I think they used the yellow one, of course clean...

I'm inclined to agree. Ford parts didn't list the switches but another site did. 

Plugged "steering wheel " into Ford Parts.com site under 2008 edge and it returned 

Steering Wheel

Other Names: Wheel Assembly - Steering
Description: MKX. Edge. With sync system. Charcoal black/camel. With navigation system. Without blue stitching. With leather, with sync, stone.
MSRP $394.00
$366.42

as the only wheel available. From what I can discern, the switches may be related to navigation. On my 09 MKX, it looks the same as what you pictured. But it was factory with the 6-disk CD and navigation was installed by the dealer as original purchaser changed mind. 

I don't see a problem if the switches don't match as they just pop off and all you need do is switch from existing wheel. (Probably just a label and still electrically identical.) Anyway, important part is to get color of wheel correct (black or stone).