Factory Sirius Antenna w/ Aftermarket H/U?

I'm getting ready to replace my Edge factory H/U with the new AVIC-F90BT and I'm wondering if anyone knows if the factory Edge Sirius antenna will work with a new H/U like this? I realize I'll have to get a new brain, but can I use the existing antenna or will I have to install a new one?

connections are pretty universal. RCA is RCA, terrestrial radio is terrestrial radio. my point is, I would bet, if a 'new' H/U claims Sirius compatibility, the antenna from your 'newer' model Edge will fit. There are not like 50 different style Sirius antenna connections.... it should work fine.

here is a great resource

There is a good chance that it will not work. Not because the attennas are different but because the recievers are different, and the way the reciever plugs into the head unit is different for each company. I have a pioneer in my truck and i have to have a pioneer sirius reciever. They do not plug in with an rca cable, the pioneer uses a square connector. i know there are different ones for kenwood, pioneer and some others. The Edge also has a reciever unit, not just the attena. It still may work but you better investigate further. If you just want to use the attenta and plug that into the reciever, then yes that should work if the connector is the same.

Edited by druck52

• 1 month later...

The factory antenna will work. What won't work is the connectors to plug the antenna into the Sirius tuner.

I got my new system installed last weekend and ended up with a defective Sirius antenna.

I didn't even realize the installer used the Sirius antenna from the box till I happened to notice it on the front of the roof near the top of the windshield.

Short term fix atm is that I have three sat antennas on the car:

1 - factory antenna on the spoiler

2 - Sirius antenna on the front right of the roof

3 - Sirius antenna in the center of my dash

I did some furious Googling this afternoon and have been in contact with a guy who is going to make an adapter wire for me.

As the factory Sirius tuner is in the rear of the spare tire well - HERE - and my new SCC1 tuner is in the center of the dash behind the head unit, I've asked for a 16' wire/adapter.

Once the wire is run it's a simple matter of plugging in the ends to their respective connectors.

I'll update this after it's installed and working.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm getting ready to replace my Edge factory H/U with the new AVIC-F90BT and I'm wondering if anyone knows if the factory Edge Sirius antenna will work with a new H/U like this? I realize I'll have to get a new brain, but can I use the existing antenna or will I have to install a new one?

In general people who install car radio's may be good at what they do but you are asking for something above and beyond. If a 16 foot wire needs to be run from your older installation to your newer one, then that will cost some bucks. I wanted the same thing for my Edge when I got my aftermarket radio installed but the guy said he had no experience with any possible mod's and wouldn't do it. One installer said he wouldn't even install my radio because he wasn't familiar with it ( it's a Sony, not exactly exotic ). Installers tend to be a plug and play bunch. If you need wiring done, then thats extra. Probably a lot extra.

Edited by Big Sam

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread but still the best for my problem.

I too want to install an aftermarket receiver and hookup aftermarket Sirius but want to utilize the existing factory Sirius antenna mounted to the rear spoiler. Anyone know if this can work? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the factory sirius for a 2007 SEL? Do the wires from the factory SDARS run to the dash and insert into the factor harness?...or do they terminate somewhere in between?