How to Activate Siri

I have my 2016 Edge Titanium since new and at the beginning I had a Samsung phone which I set it up to work with the Sync and all was fine including the voice command. Recently I changed my Samsung for a Motorola6 and I was able to connect it to the Sync and all look good. That’s my phone book was transferred to the car and I could use this phone book to call/receive but I had no voice commands..

Only recently I noticed that the voice activation was not working. Went thru the commands and in the cars phone menu there is the icon “Siri”. When I press it it says my phone is not connected properly and to look into my phone setup. Pressing the voice button in my steering wheel does nothing.

Any idea on what to look up in my phone to get the voice activated?

I would suggest deleting your phones bluestooth connection (This unto itself doesn't have an impact on whether or not carplay/ siri will work But i often find it best to start with a clean baseline while diagnosing and troubleshooting things. Especially if it takes all of two seconds to repair your phone)

I also see that you have a 2016. Depending on your build date you will need to purchase a newer USB hub that plays nice with iPhone. 

Google these part numbers...

GJ7Z-19A387-B (White USB Port LED's - Lincoln Default) HC3Z-19A387-B (Blue USB Port LED's - Ford Default)

If you don't require a new USB hub then continue below:

Go into settings/ general/ carplay/ sync 3 and select forget this car. I don't think you're set up/ configured properly. Deleting it will force you to go through all of the connection prompts upon connecting your iPhone via USB.

Once you're connected properly you can simply say hey siri and in theory she should work!

HTH Good Luck!

Edited by onyxbfly

Thanks onyxbfly for your time

I do have 2 USB ports in my car and they both work fine. I also Googled “SIRI” and I understand SIRI is only used if I have an Apple phone and since I don’t use Apple products this is one less headache for me.

Anyway I was going thru the instruction steps from my manual on how to activate voice control and at the end it said press the voice button on the steering wheel. When I did that a message in the Synch screen said “Turn off Airplane mode” on your phone. I did that and now the voice commands works!

I never understood why airplane mode will come ON sometimes by itself, it happened to me before. So now I will try to remember this.  

• Like 2