2018 Edge Front Suspension Noise

Hi!

I have a 2018 Edge Titanium AWD. It has been a great vehicle and I just passed my 60,000 km so warranty is up ?

For the last week or so it has been making this awful sound. It seems to happen after driving for 10-15 mins so it needs to warm up for it to happen. I notice it a slower speeds - around 20 kms with my foot off the brake and more so when turning my wheel to the right.

Hoping someone has heard this before and can tell me what it is!

My husband has had it on the hoist a few times now and has checked the brakes, shocks and a few other things I can't remember...lol. He is sleeping or I'd ask but maybe just maybe someone has heard it or knows from experience. 

Thanks so much for any and all feedback!!

It could be the strut bearing... Maybe I'm not calling it the right thing but it's at the top of the strut tower and it turns worth the strut and wheel as they are connected. You have to drop the strut. It's a plastic piece with bearings inside it. If it's stuck, it makes that noise as it rotates across the rubber piece between it and the strut top.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/bearing-front-suspension-strut-6439845-1#sectionId:4346233

Thank you! I’ll have my husband check that out.

We have been leaning towards the cv boot. When it was on the hoist yesterday and he was spinning the tire and you can hear the plastic boot squeak. He has since greased it so I guess today will tell if that helped.

appreciate the response! Was sure someone had to have heard this before but now seems to be just a me thing ? 

thanks again!

There is another thread on this very thing. I recognized it myself because I changed my own struts and over torqued that center bolt plus I didn't have the top and bottom of the strut bearing aligned (there is a mark on it that supposed to match up). I had to take the strut out again, fix it and remount it. Luckily I hadn't gotten an alignment yet but dang that was worse than having extra pieces left over!!

Edited by EdgyJim

5 hours ago, EdgyJim said:

There is another thread on this very thing. I recognized it myself because I changed my own struts and over torqued that center bolt plus I didn't have the top and bottom of the strut bearing aligned (there is a mark on it that supposed to match up). I had to take the strut out again, fix it and remount it. Luckily I hadn't gotten an alignment yet but dang that was worse than having extra pieces left over!!

My husband checked it out and ruled it out as well.

He lubed up the boot pretty good yesterday and today I took my daughter to work, usually by the time I get there the noise is very noticeable. Today it was not, I drove around quite a few times behind the strip mall ( find it echos well back there) but nothing!! I was so excited however when I got home the noise was back, not as loud but I am going to assume the boot is drying or the lube is gone ?‍♀️

I guess it's progress as nothing else we have tried up to this point made the noise go away!

We took it to our local mechanic today and he has concluded it’s a hanger bearing! No idea what that is but it is covered under warranty so now off to Ford for an “official” diagnosis and hopefully they will get it fixed!!

appointment is just over a week away so hopefully it’s safe to carry on.

thanks to those that helped and hope this can maybe help someone else out if they hear the same ?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, trimad22 said:

We took it to our local mechanic today and he has concluded it’s a hanger bearing! No idea what that is but it is covered under warranty so now off to Ford for an “official” diagnosis and hopefully they will get it fixed!!

Been discussed here before. This may help understanding its purpose:

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, cameracarl said:

My 2018 Edge SEL AWD makes the same noise but it never happens at the dealership.  Have you confirmed that it is the hangar bearing so that I can tell the dealer to look at this item specifically?

I wish it was that easy!!

When I took it Ford of course they couldn’t hear it when driving. They said they heard a faint noise on the hoist and diagnosed it as - deflector on passenger side of ptu rubbing on passenger axle deflector. Will need a new deflector.

And they fixed that. 

My issue is that my noise happened when it was warm outside and after a bit of a drive. Both days I took it in the weather was much cooler and I do think temp had an affect. 

The mechanic (not Ford) that diagnosed it heard the noise loud and clear and was confident. He was the one who said hanger bearing.

Ford fixed what they heard. I won’t know now until the summer if what I heard truly is fixed! 

Hope that helps some at least. I will update back if the problem comes back. 

If they fix something on yours please let me know as well. 

Thanks!

I'm going to try to get the car to make the noise on Tuesday morning then take it in to the dealership. So I will let you know what I find.  I live in Minnesota and heard the noise during a long drive last week when it was 65 degrees F. Next week it will only be in the 40s, so I shall see what happens.  

Does anyone know what the failure mode is with whatever causes this noise?  Can it leave the vehicle disabled or is it merely an annoyance?  And, now that I am out of the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty period, does anyone know if this would be covered by the longer powertrain warranty?

Thank you.

• 9 months later...

It has been almost a year since this thread was active.The noise discussed appears to be one that only becomes apparent when it is warm outside.  (At least that is what I am discovering with my 2018 Edge.) Now that the summer is almost over I wonder if anyone found the cause and fix for the noise.  Unfortunately I have been unable to get my Edge's noise evaluated at a dealer. It seems that the noise only occurs when it is a weekend or when I am on a road trip hundreds of miles from home.  My dealer listened to the video posted above but said that they have to experience it firsthand to do anything about it.