2020 Ford Edge ST rim options......

GRP57

I have a 2020 Edge ST with the 21" rim option.  I live in Alberta Canada, and need to purchase winter tires and rims before the snow falls this winter.  My question is as follows:  Can I mount an 18" rim on the 2020 Edge ST?  I was told by somebody at a Ford dealership that the 18" rims would not clear the brakes.  My thought was to purchase 245 60 R18 tires, and mount them on 18X8" rims, as I really don't need to pay the price for a 20" snow tire.  If anybody can provide me some advice or information regarding this question, I would be most appreciative!  

Cheers,

George

1 hour ago, GRP57 said:

I have a 2020 Edge ST with the 21" rim option.  I live in Alberta Canada, and need to purchase winter tires and rims before the snow falls this winter.  My question is as follows:  Can I mount an 18" rim on the 2020 Edge ST?  I was told by somebody at a Ford dealership that the 18" rims would not clear the brakes.  My thought was to purchase 245 60 R18 tires, and mount them on 18X8" rims, as I really don't need to pay the price for a 20" snow tire.  If anybody can provide me some advice or information regarding this question, I would be most appreciative!  

Cheers,

George

Some 18s may not fit. I run these in winter with no issues.

Klasse Motor Sport Apex Black Satin Wheels (kaltire.com)

Hi Handfiler & PerBlue. Thanks so much for your replies to my post.  Handfiler, thanks for forwarding the specs of the different trim levels of the 2020 From Edge.  I did not get the performance brake package, so it should be the same as the SEL trim level.  PerBlue, I noticed that the offset on your rims is only 38mm, whereas the OE offset is 52.5mm.  I guess the smaller offset will just push the tire outward a bit.  I also noticed that the centre bore of these wheels is 73mm, whereas the OE centre bore is only 63.4mm.  I guess being a bit bigger will not pose a problem.  Could you possibly explain how the rim offset might introduce interference with the breaking system?  I am still trying to get my head around that issue.  So, if an offset of 38mm fits the Edge ST, I had better look for a comparable offset.  I really appreciate all the input, as I need to get my wheels/tires ordered soon, as snow will likely start flying around here pretty soon.

Cheers,

George

19 minutes ago, GRP57 said:

Hi Handfiler & PerBlue. Thanks so much for your replies to my post.  Handfiler, thanks for forwarding the specs of the different trim levels of the 2020 From Edge.  I did not get the performance brake package, so it should be the same as the SEL trim level.  PerBlue, I noticed that the offset on your rims is only 38mm, whereas the OE offset is 52.5mm.  I guess the smaller offset will just push the tire outward a bit.  I also noticed that the centre bore of these wheels is 73mm, whereas the OE centre bore is only 63.4mm.  I guess being a bit bigger will not pose a problem.  Could you possibly explain how the rim offset might introduce interference with the breaking system?  I am still trying to get my head around that issue.  So, if an offset of 38mm fits the Edge ST, I had better look for a comparable offset.  I really appreciate all the input, as I need to get my wheels/tires ordered soon, as snow will likely start flying around here pretty soon.

Cheers,

George

You get hub centering rings that fill the gap, any shop can order them or likely have them in stock. Most seem to prefer a 38-42mm offset because it makes the wheels more flush with the fenders, especially when lowered.