Scratches in the paint

2013 ford edge, these scratches are everywhere in the paint. I tried the soapy water trick, but they did not disappear. I tried a spray wax detailer and they went away for a bit, then came back.

Is that in the paint or the clear coat? Is there an easy fix? They aren't deep. What should I use?

I don't think this SUV has ever been waxed or cleaned properly.

20211017_155551.jpg

The picture is a little blurry but those don't look too bad. Does your finger nail catch when you rub it over the scratch? If so, polishing won't fix it. If not, you can try hand polish. I use Adam's Polishes but there are plenty of hand polishes out there that would work. Both of the products below can be used by hand and work very well. 

image.png.f5a4dafcc4501faf9e0ce97db98178eb.png

On 10/18/2021 at 7:51 AM, bscott94 said:

The picture is a little blurry but those don't look too bad. Does your finger nail catch when you rub it over the scratch? If so, polishing won't fix it. If not, you can try hand polish. I use Adam's Polishes but there are plenty of hand polishes out there that would work. Both of the products below can be used by hand and work very well. 

image.png.f5a4dafcc4501faf9e0ce97db98178eb.png

Do you recommend these over maguires or chemical guys? I tried 3 coats of maguires compound, using a drill with a buffer pad. They disappeared for a minute, but they are still there. Someone said I need to polish and wax after using compound. I'll try that next weekend when I get time.

Fingernail doesn't catch. I have a feeling it's the paint, cracking. This SUV has never seen a wax job. I take it to the auto car wash 2x a month. That's probably where the scratches came from.

11 hours ago, Jstrem75 said:

Do you recommend these over maguires or chemical guys? I tried 3 coats of maguires compound, using a drill with a buffer pad. They disappeared for a minute, but they are still there. Someone said I need to polish and wax after using compound. I'll try that next weekend when I get time.

Fingernail doesn't catch. I have a feeling it's the paint, cracking. This SUV has never seen a wax job. I take it to the auto car wash 2x a month. That's probably where the scratches came from.

I've really only used Adam's so I'm not sure how well others work. I would agree with using polish after compound but that would be to remove haze, not remove the scratches. The compound would/should remove scratches but leave micro scratches/haze which polish would remove. If compound didn't affect the scratches, it might require wet sanding. Using the drill would be more effective than doing it by hand so I would expect that you would see results doing it that way. Good luck! I hope you can get it taken care off. 

• Thanks 1