Where is a block heater?

Jeff K

I bought 2014 SEL 3.5L AWD model manufactured in Oakville, Ontario and tried to find where a block heater cord is. Seller told me it was somewhere front before replacing bumper last year.

I live in Edmonton, Alberta and thought a block heater is built when manufactured in Canada.  

IMG_20211113_213411.jpg

Up until 2016, all Edge models were built at that plant in canada, but not all models have a block warmer.
I could be that all edge models SOLD in canada came with a block heater, I don't know.

This thread talks about the block warmer in relation to the lower grill:
Perhaps this will help.

Lol, let me have a laugh Jeff K (with respect).  It's just because I had a similar question about four years ago and I got a similar answer: it IS there lol.  "But where?", that's your question.

Well, it's very hard to find it first time from the top of the engine bay (forget it), it's really hard to find it that way unless it has been already moved from its original/factory storage location, if it's still in its original location from factory (if it hasn't been previously used/touched yet).  Once you do find it first time then you'll be able to continue locating/tracing it from the top of the engine bay.  But to find it first time you will have to crawl under the car (that's the only way I could find it after expending days looking for it from the top lol, reading the user's manual, reading Haynes book, even posting a question in other part of this great forum, and still couldn't find the info for the location).

So, rise the front of the car on ramps (you could rise only the passenger side if you want), get underneath with a good flashlight and set your mind ready to spend some time down there, IF needed lol.  Unfortunately I didn't take pictures when I found it (sorry) and I'm currently recovering from a recent heart attack and double bypass so, I'm still very limited in the physical activities I could do (i.e., not even driving yet :( ).

Here is the first fun part: once you put the car on ramp and crawl underneath (remember to engage parking brake, shuck the opposite rear wheel and all other pertinent safety measures to get underneath the car), find the engine block (as a reference start) and look along the chassis frame, the heat cord should be tightly tucked against the frame, look like if you're looking for something that it's supposed to be hidden, really hard to find ON PURPOSE lol.

Once you find it (you will, trust me), here is the second fun part: there's no much space where you can run that cable around to the front of the car.  So, before you actually start sweating bringing that cable through the front, first think where exactly you want to have that plug, and then work its way towards where you want to place it.  I had A LOT OF FUN placing the plug through the lower grill right underneath the front plate holder lol.

Good luck!

Edited by Edgingage

5 hours ago, akirby said:

All Edges are made in Canada,  block heaters are never standard on US vehicles,  I don’t have the 2014 Canada order guide but I do see the 2021 Canada order guide and the block heater is standard, so I would guess they were standard in 2014 too.

It is better to stop in a mechanic tomorrow see if a block heater is built. Thanks.

Thank you for details, Edgingage. I would check the bottom of engine block, but limited tools and equipment in my garage. I would go to a body shop to check out the block heater and install a remote starter to prepare coming brutal weather. lol  

Edited by 1004ron
  • Haha 1