Humming noise with cargo weight

Hello all!  We just purchased a 2018 Ford Edge Sport; what a vehicle!  My question is, we went to pick up some tile and it weighed about 600 lbs maybe a bit more.  We noticed a humming noise, almost like a compressor, as if air suspension was filling, but it was intermittent (also, I know these don't come with air suspension).  Anyone experience this or know what it could be?

Just a guess but considering the sound being a humming sound (indicating that it's an electric motor),  I'd think you were hearing the fuel pump.

The load may have pressed down on the suspension, forcing to fuel tank tighter against to car body or suspension; allowing the sound of the fuel pump to be transmitted into the car body. Amplifing the sound level of the pump.

20 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Just a guess but considering the sound being a humming sound (indicating that it's an electric motor),  I'd think you were hearing the fuel pump.

The load may have pressed down on the suspension, forcing to fuel tank tighter against to car body or suspension; allowing the sound of the fuel pump to be transmitted into the car body. Amplifing the sound level of the pump.

Always thinking outside the box. ?

On 4/15/2022 at 5:19 PM, enigma-2 said:

Would that be intermittent? It was most noticable at a stop.  Thanks for the response!

Does it still make the humming sound when the load is removed?

I doubt your Edge has air shocks. If it were air shocks, you'd see the car sag from the load of the tile then lift to level. If the shocks had failed, it wouldn't be intermittent. It would be steady, as it tried to get level and couldn't. If there are air shocks and they are leaking, the car would level, then sag, then pump up to level then sag, etc. My suspicion is on the fuel pump. They can be really annoying. 

Process of imination. Easy check is to crawl under the car and listen near the fuel tank (car running). Or ask the technician have a listen when the car's on the lift for an oil change, etc.

Only other thing I can think of is a part of the exhaust just barely touching the frame or suspension and causing the "humming" sound. 

The only way you're gonna find it is throw some cardboard on the ground and crawl under the car when running to find where humming is loudest.