Rear/right turn signal issue

Hi everyone, let me start by saying I'm a "newbie" in here and have spent some time browsing through things in here and WOW....the vast knowledge and ideas in here is awesome!! I will definitely be spending some time reading some of the ideas and help throughout the forum. So now the reason why I stumbled across this forum to begin with.

I have a 2014 that randomly started having right rear turn signal issues. The only "mod" to this vehicle is a remote start I added a few years ago which I confirmed last night with the manufacturer that has nothing to do with my turn signals at all. The RR signal is dead with a fast flashing active and the front signal does flash. I checked the fuse even though I thought it would be good since the front was still flashing, bought new bulbs and have even taken out the left rear bulb housing and plugged into the right side to see if that would light up and it failed. Multimeter also confirmed no power to pins coming from chassis. Electronic diagnostics is a weakness of mine in my mechanical skills so I am hoping someone may have and idea on where to go from here. Thanks guys  

Edit:

(All other lights are working correctly in that housing)

Edited by Lenny

Its either the bulb (3757NAK, amber) or wiring. Check the connector at the housing for corrosion. Its not tbe fuse as front flashes.

After re-reading, troubleshooting starts with bulb and works back. 1. Bad bulb. (Checked). 2. Corrosion in connector.  3. Break in wiring. Most likely location is where wiring passes under area subject to occupancy. Believe harness serves rear drivers side and crosses over to passengers. Could pull up cargo cover to locate wire. Check visually for break or cut. Or pull passenger light assy anf check wiring in back of assy. 

Fault will be from where passenger rear splits off and runs over to lamp assy. (As drivers side is working, everything there forward is good). 

Broken wire crossover or bad connector. Nothing else can be at fault.

Edited by enigma-2

To assist you toward resolution of your Edge's right rear turn signal problem, below are PDF download links to Turn Signal and Hazard Lamps Diagnosis and Testing Procedures, and other related sections from the 2014 Edge Workshop Manual, as well as wiring and connector location diagrams as images...

Good luck!

Turn Signal and Hazard Lamps Diagnosis and Testing Procedures - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Right Rear Stop-Tail Light Connector C417 - Wiring-Circuit Legend - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Body Control Module (BCM) Connector C2280C Wiring-Circuit Legend - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Instrument Panel - Exploded View - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Body Control Module (BCM) Removal and Installation - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Module Configuration Includes BCM - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Parking, Rear and License Stop-Turn Lamps Wiring Diagram Page 4 - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Body Control Module (BCM) - Principles of Operation

The Body Control Module (BCM) controls various systems by monitoring inputs from switches, sensors and messages sent from other modules. The BCM activates outputs based on the inputs received. For example, the Front Lighting Control Module (FLM) monitors the headlamp switch and transmits the headlamp switch position to the BCM over the network. Based on this input, the BCM may provide voltage to the exterior lamps.

Field-Effect Transistor (FET) Protection

A Field-Effect Transistor (FET) is a type of transistor that, when used with module software, monitors and controls current flow on module outputs. The FET protection strategy prevents module damage in the event of excessive current flow.

The BCM utilizes an FET protective circuit strategy for many of its outputs (for example, a headlamp output circuit). Output loads (current level) are monitored for excessive current (typically short circuits) and are shut down (turns off the voltage or ground provided by the module) when a fault event is detected. A short circuit DTC is stored at the fault event and a cumulative counter is started.

When the demand for the output is no longer present, the module resets the FET protection to allow the circuit to function. The next time the driver requests a circuit to activate that has been shut down by a previous short (FET protection) and the circuit is still shorted, the FET protection shuts off the circuit again and the cumulative counter advances.

When the excessive circuit load occurs often enough, the module shuts down the output until a repair procedure is carried out. Each FET protected circuit has 3 predefined levels of short circuit tolerance based on the harmful effect of each circuit fault on the FET and the ability of the FET to withstand it. A module lifetime level of fault events is established based upon the durability of the FET . If the total tolerance level is determined to be 600 fault events, the 3 predefined levels would be 200, 400 and 600 fault events.

When each tolerance level is reached, the short circuit DTC that was stored on the first failure cannot be cleared by the clear the CMDTCs command. The module does not allow this code to be cleared or the circuit restored to normal operation until a successful self-test proves that the fault has been repaired. After the self-test has successfully completed (no on-demand DTCs present), DTC U1000:00 and the associated DTC (the DTC related to the shorted circuit) automatically clears and the circuit function returns.

When each level is reached, the DTC associated with the short circuit sets along with DTC U1000:00. These DTCs are cleared using the module on-demand self-test, then the Clear DTC operation on the scan tool (if the on-demand test shows the fault corrected). The module never resets the fault event counter to zero and continues to advance the fault event counter as short circuit fault events occur.

If the number of short circuit fault events reach the third level, then DTCs U1000:00 and U3000:49 set along with the associated short circuit DTC . DTC U3000:49 cannot be cleared and the module must be replaced after the repair.

Gateway Function

The BCM acts as a gateway module by receiving information in one format and transmitting it to other modules using another format. For example, the BCM receives the vehicle speed data from the PCM over the High Speed Controller Area Network (HS-CAN) , converts the data into a Medium Speed Controller Area Network (MS-CAN) message and sends (gateways) the message to other network modules such as the HVAC module and the Audio Front Control Module (ACM) . This enables network communication between modules that do not communicate using the same network (HS-CAN or MS-CAN ).

Parking, Rear and License Lamps Connector C417 Location Diagram - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Body Control Module (BCM) Connector C2280C Location Diagram - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Parking, Rear and License Lamps Right Side Ground G404 D-Pillar Location Diagram - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1