Overheat Fan Assm \ ECM\ Evap Code after

Trnenergy

Hi,

2008 Edge 3.5 SEL 175K miles

Vehicle overheated and ended up being the left\driver side fan. Dealership replaced with NAPA Dorman assembly and also replaced ECM because it took the fan portion out.. WTF Anyway went to pick it up got it and check engine light was on. Mechanic said and showed it to me EVAP code and cleared it. I left and it came back on as soon as I started it again. Took it back and they ordered another aftermarket ECM from O'Rielly's and that ECM did the same thing. FORD ECMs are on backorder so that's why using aftermarket. 

They have the Edge still and can't figure out why code is showing. If they put the broken ECM back in no code but obviously cant use broken ECM due to fan control. So now mechanic is trying to debug and thinks the aftermarket Dorman Fan assembly is not to spec or bad. I said use the Dorman because at the time that was quicker and a little cheaper than the FORD. Next step would be to order FORD fam assembly and try.

Anybody got 2 cents. I have some background in automotive industry and wrote test Software for FORD and other companies. Not sure if this some weird limit out of spec thing. I think they are trying. I can't imagine the the aftermarket parts be that wonky, but I've seen weird stuff before. They also have ready another FORD ECM that I'll get money back if they use that one, but talking to the mechanic I think he frustrated he can't get this to work. I feel that he is genuine about it.

Edited by Trnenergy
spelling and wording fix

I can't imagine the the aftermarket parts be that wonky, but I've seen weird stuff before. 

This forum search feature doesn't work for me, so use Google.

There's a few posts on the forum reporting that the non-OEM fan assemblies don't work.

radiator fan troubleshooting - 3.5L - Ford Edge Forum

Radiator Fan Issue - 2012 Edge & MKX - Ford Edge Forum

Edited by 1004ron
  • Thanks 1

Welp got it back from the dealership. So moral of the story is get OEM parts. Aftermarket ECMs didn't like something with the aftermarket fan assemblies. In the end fan motor assembly OEM and a used ECM (a lot cheaper) were used and all good. I actually got $800 ish back... 

Ugh

• Like 1