2011 Sync died

I've had a 2011 Edge LTD with the Sony system in it since Summer 2011 and Sync has always been mediocre at best. I flashed it with 3.10 a year or two back which improved things but the last 6 months it has just been dying randomly for no reason.   Usually it comes back a day or two later and all is well but this time it died and wont come back.  I pulled the battery cable overnight with no success.   I'm not sure if its the screen or module that tanked.  I have access to forscan but haven't gone out yet to see if it sees the module.   I checked the fuse and its fine.

Does anyone have any forscan tips?   I'm game to piece together sync 3 for it should my module be gone but I don't want to throw away good money either.  Any help would be appreciated.

One more follow up.  I was able to find the factory 3.10 upgrade with and without NAV as the installers are slightly different.  I've updated my module  to 3.10 and I had factory NAV.   Based on my research any sync 2 module would work but it would need to be programmed with forscan for the particular car.  As built data can be pulled in direct from motorcraft through forscan.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2011 ford edge SEL with black screen. can I pull the APIM and get it referbished, I am afraid to buy used one and end up right back where I started in a couple of months/years

it has navigation. I even though about pulling the screen and replaceing the radio for close to the same cost, I think many new radios retain the steering wheel controls.

????