Rear Brakes sticking after bleeding with the park brake set

So my brake booster had went bad on my 2014 Ford Edge after getting everything back together and bleeding the brakes manually, I don't have a pressure bleeder, also I purchased a code reader about a year ago when I replaced the ABS but it keeps telling me that my vehicle does not support the ABS bleed function, well now the pressure is not releasing from my rear wheels. I can drive it and feel the rear brakes dragging as I continue to drive and eventually it will throw a C0044-28-AB code and light up my Advance trac system lights. I can make everything go away by opening either rear bleeder valve and when I do it's like someone has their foot on the pedal it will almost squirt up to the fender well. I can monitor my ABS system with this code reader and after pumping the brakes up I'm still holding 29 PSI in the system when I remove my foot from the pedal. I had to come back and edit this, when I rep[laced the ABS even though I couldn't get the ABS bleed to work I did get a decent pedal after bleeding it wasn't 100% but I could give it a second pump and be good, when I bled the brakes then I did not have the parking brake on...I did however have the parking brake on this time....could that have caused my issue?

How do I fix this? One note of mention in order to get the booster out I did have to remove the lines on the side of the ABS to clear the booster....should I unhook the battery for a while then rebleed everything?

Edited by maddog0963

Relating to the DTC you mention, the 2014 Workshop Manual offers this diagnostic Pinpoint Test...

Pinpoint Test C - DTCs C0044:28, C0044:49 and C0044:64

Normal Operation

The ABS module uses internal pressure sensors to determine proper operation by monitoring internal Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) hydraulic pressures. These DTCs set if the brake pressure sensor signals do not match. This fault could set by either an internal ABS module failure or a pressure sensor failure. The pressure sensors are internal to the HCU and cannot be serviced separately. Unintentional brake fluid pressure applied when the ABS module is expecting no brake fluid pressure can set this fault.

• DTC C0044:28 (Brake Pressure Sensor "A": Signal Bias Level Out of Range / Zero Adjustment Failure) — this DTC sets if the brake pressure sensor signals do not match. This fault could set by either an internal ABS module failure or a pressure sensor failure.
  • DTC C0044:49 (Brake Pressure Sensor "A": Internal Electronic Failure) — this DTC sets if the brake pressure sensor signals do not match. This fault could set by either an internal ABS module failure or a pressure sensor failure.
  • DTC C0044:64 (Brake Pressure Sensor "A": Signal Plausibility Failure) — this DTC sets if the brake pressure sensor signals do not match. This fault could set by either an internal ABS module failure or a pressure sensor failure.

This pinpoint test is intended to diagnose the following:

• Brake pedal position switch/bracket
  • ABS module
  • HCU
PINPOINT TEST C : DTCS C0044:28, C0044:49 AND C0044:64

C1  CHECK THE BRAKE PEDAL AND BRACKET

• Inspect the brake pedal position switch and brake pedal assembly. Verify there is no brake pedal pressure unintentionally applied due to incorrect brake pedal position switch or brake pedal installation.

Are the brake pedal position switch and brake pedal OK?

Yes GO to C2.
No REPAIR or INSTALL new components as necessary. REFER to Section  206-06.

C2  CHECK FOR DTCS C0044:28, C0044:49 AND C0044:64 TO RETURN

• Ignition ON.
  • Using a scan tool, clear all CMDTCs .
  • Test drive the vehicle at speeds greater than 32 km/h (20 mph).
  • Enter the following diagnostic mode on the scan tool: Self-Test — ABS Module .

Are DTCs C0044:28, C0044:49 and C0044:64 present?

Yes GO to C3.
No The system is operating correctly at this time. The concern may have been caused by air trapped in the hydraulic brake system. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

C3  CHECK FOR CORRECT ABS MODULE TO HCU TORQUE VALUES

• Verify all ABS module-to-HCU fasteners are tightened to their correct torque specifications.

Are the ABS module to HCU fasteners correctly torqued?

Yes For vehicles without adaptive cruise control, INSTALL an ABS module. REFER to Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module in this section. GO to C4.
For vehicles with adaptive cruise control, INSTALL a new HCU . REFER to 
Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) in this section. TEST the system for normal operation.
No TIGHTEN all ABS module-to-HCU fasteners. CLEAR the DTCs. GO to C4.

C4  CHECK FOR DTCS C0044:28, C0044:49 AND C0044:64

• Test drive the vehicle at speeds greater than 32 km/h (20 mph).
  • Enter the following diagnostic mode on the scan tool: Self-Test — ABS Module .
  • Carry out the ABS module self-test.

Are DTCs C0044:28, C0044:49 and C0044:64 present?

Yes INSTALL a new HCU . REFER to Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) in this section. TEST the system for normal operation.
No Repairs complete. The system is operating correctly at this time.

...and relating to the above-mentioned torque specs...

Torque Specifications

Description   Nm   lb-ft   lb-in  
ABS module screws 2 18
Brake caliper brake tube-to-Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) fittings 20 177
Front wheel speed sensor bolts 7 62
HCU bracket-to-frame bolts 25 18
HCU bracket-to-HCU bolt 11 97
Master cylinder brake tube-to-HCU fittings 28 21
Rear wheel speed sensor bolts 9 80

Additional relevant Workshop Manual sections are below as PDF download links...

Brake System Component Tests - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Brake System Bleeding Procedure - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Component Bleeding Procedure - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) Removal and Installation - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf?

You mention you could not get the ABS Service Bleed to work, presumably with your scan tool.

Do you have Forscan capability? Try searching YouTube where many 'Ford ABS Service Bleed using Forscan' videos are available, or try searching the same procedure for your specific brand/model scan tool.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1