"Howling/Barking" noise when reversing while braking

Sjej

Before I start: my car is a 2010 Ford Edge. I've had it for about a year or two now, and the problem started pretty early on in my ownership of the car. I recently did replace the front brake pads, brake hardware, brake rotors and greased the slide pins. I have never replaced a part in the rear of the car, which is where this noise is coming from.

This is a video of the noise. It sounds the exact same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrxSKocxd6g

When I start backing out, the car is quiet. Not a single unwanted noise. I can even apply the brake, very lightly and nothing happens. I wait a bit, and the noise comes. Like I just encountered a family of whales. It is so loud, it wakes up my neighbors. There is no single condition where it happens, either. Cold weather? It happens. Warm weather? It happens. Warm brakes? Cold brakes? Still happens. I've tried adjusting the parking brake shoe and it may have fixed the problem for a few days.. until the noise returned. I genuinely don't know what to do. The rotors are fine, the bearings are fine, the brake pads still have life left on them.. I have tried a lot of things and I am going to keep trying but I need to know if ANYONE has had this problem before in their car and actually fixed it. Even if it isn't a Ford Edge.

I would also like to know the correct direction for turning the star wheel to adjust the parking brake shoes. I need the shoes to be brought closer together, not further apart. I haven't been able to find a good answer, so if anyone knows I would really appreciate at least just the answer to this question.

One thing I'll note is that on the left side of the car, the rotor seemed untouched on the inside where the parking brake shoe would touch the rotor when engaged. On the right side, it was the opposite. It looked like the shoe had been rubbing from day 1. That's the side I'm focusing on, since the noise also is much louder there usually.

• Like 1

Sounds like a dragging brake shoe. (Had one on my 56 vicky that sounded like that). Don't know which way the starr wheel is turned, try taking the drum off and do a visual.

As it seems to stop after you adjust the drum brake, I'd  focus on the adjuster mechanism to start. It may not be holding the adjustment. (Again on my 56, corrosion had frozen the adjuster and the shoes would work themselves back too tight.)

As its a 2010, think I'd also try new brake shoes (passenger side is probably worn past limits anyways). Basically simple system. Check cables controlling brakes and adjuster. My bet is corrosion has frozen one or the other.

22 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Sounds like a dragging brake shoe. (Had one on my 56 vicky that sounded like that). Don't know which way the starr wheel is turned, try taking the drum off and do a visual.

As it seems to stop after you adjust the drum brake, I'd  focus on the adjuster mechanism to start. It may not be holding the adjustment. (Again on my 56, corrosion had frozen the adjuster and the shoes would work themselves back too tight.)

As its a 2010, think I'd also try new brake shoes (passenger side is probably worn past limits anyways). Basically simple system. Check cables controlling brakes and adjuster. My bet is corrosion has frozen one or the other.

I'll try this. That's definitely what I'm thinking, too. Should I get a repair manual to figure out which way to turn the adjuster? I've never once worked with a parking brake mechanism, so I'm not too sure on where the cable is or how it works. I know it's simple, though. The parking brake does not even hold the car. I had no idea it was possible for the adjuster mechanism to freeze because of corrosion, but I will definitely check. It makes a lot of sense. Thank you for your help, too.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2013 Ford Edge. All of the brake pads and rotors replaced 2 months ago. About 2 weeks ago, when backing up, my car squeals something fierce from the rear. After researching, I am going to add low frequency noise dampers on the rear calipers. I ordered them from RockAuto.com shipped for about $32.00. Carlson part number H5708. They are expected to arrive this Wednesday. I should have them installed Thursday morning and will let you know whether the low frequency noise dampers were helpful or not.

13 hours ago, Tracylpatt said:

I have a 2013 Ford Edge. All of the brake pads and rotors replaced 2 months ago. About 2 weeks ago, when backing up, my car squeals something fierce from the rear. After researching, I am going to add low frequency noise dampers on the rear calipers. I ordered them from RockAuto.com shipped for about $32.00. Carlson part number H5708. They are expected to arrive this Wednesday. I should have them installed Thursday morning and will let you know whether the low frequency noise dampers were helpful or not.

Please do let me know, I was looking into those as well