2011 Ford Edge - engine replacement

alex2374

Bought last spring for my son to drive once he turned 16. Just found out the water pump failed and leaked coolant into the engine, which is not anything I'd ever heard of happening before but with some poking around on the forum I now realize is something that absolutely does happen with this vehicle. Mechanic quoted me $8200 for a remanufactured engine ($5500 for the engine, rest for various parts and labor.) That's only slightly less than what I paid for the car a year and a half ago. I hate to not fix it because otherwise the car is in pretty good shape, but I don't want to throw good money after bad either. I saw some older posts suggesting a used engine instead, and just wanted to get thoughts on that; last time I had to replace an engine it was in my car and it was remanufactured, but it also cost me $3000 less to do it on that vehicle. Would really love to get a few more years out of this car though since before long I'll be in the market for a car for his sister, but I don't really feel like paying for the car twice basically. 

• Sad 1

car-part.com for used engines with warranties. i beilieve you can find vehicles through the 2018 MY that used this 3.5

the 3.7 tivct engines from the FWD platformed vehicles should also be a dropin fit, but i have not confirmed.

depending on how old the replacement engine is, you might want to budget for a water pump + timing job on it anyway for peace of mind.