40 amp switched tap location?

I have a 2016 sel, and need to run a line to charge the battery on my camper when I tow it.  I would like it to be hot only when the vehicle is running so I don’t drain my battery. Is there a location in the fuse box in the engine compartment that would be good to tap into for this?  I know I can run to the battery directly, but I want something that is only hot when the car is running.

6 hours ago, Rrands1 said:

I have a 2016 sel, and need to run a line to charge the battery on my camper when I tow it.  I would like it to be hot only when the vehicle is running so I don’t drain my battery. Is there a location in the fuse box in the engine compartment that would be good to tap into for this?  I know I can run to the battery directly, but I want something that is only hot when the car is running.

The right way to do this would be to use a key controlled power source to trigger a 40amp relay to the trailer. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, akirby said:

That’s the ONLY way to do it!

no actually its not.

It would be quite simple to put a simple manually controlled switch in line between a direct battery feed and the trailer that could be turned on and off at will.

This also removes the potential of a sticky relay draining the car battery accidentally.

And i'd be willing to det there is a remote control relay system out there somewhere that could be switch on and off by a fob, or even a bluetooth connection.

There's a million ways to skin a cat so they say

(I like cats. no evil intentions here, just a saying)

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Haz said:

Confirming availability at a surprisingly low cost, though lack of mechanical override in event of transmitter failure would worry me.

No cats were harmed during the course of my research.

Good luck!

proof of concept received ?

If it were my project, I'd go with a 40A inline fuse and a minimum 50A max load relay,  just the sake of safety and operational overhead

• Like 2