Rear End Noise

pintokid

I was riding with my wife driving today and I noticed a kind of "roar" coming from the rear end under hard acceleration. I know that is the only time on a dry road that the AWD activates power to the rear. As soon as she backed off, the sound was gone. It is definitely in the rear, not where the PTU is located, and only under acceleration. Has anyone seen this before. We have about 62K on the 2017 Edge and PTU was replaced at 10K and no other transmission fluids have been changed.

Either the rear differential or rear wheel  bearing. Both create a roaring noise on acceleration, but the differential will also create a roaring under additional load.

The differential could be failing if its leaking, running low on lubrication, or you drove through deep water at some point, allowing water to enter the axle, causing lubrication failure. Another possibility is the car was subjected to a towing overload at some point. 

One method to isolate between the two, would be to lift the rear end and shake to rear wheels. Also rotate the tires while listening to the bearings. An old mechanics trick is to use a long, wood handle (plastic works as well), the slot end on the area of the bearing with your ear on the handle end. Listen for grinding.

In either case, something is wearing out in the rear. 

Have you ever changed the rear differential fluid? Best to do this every 60,000 miles or any time the car has been driven through deep water (level over the rear axle). It's in the cars  maintenance manual (at least in mine for my MKX). 

The car has 62K now and needed a front wheel bearing at about 10K. Thanks for the advice. The car has had an easy life. Only light towing last year a few times. Never been through deep water. The car needs to be back at the dealer for a recall, so I think I'll get them to change all the fluids (except engine oil).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...