02 sensor

• 2 weeks later...

Need to state basic vehicle specs: Year + Model + Engine +....

in your profile+signature+thread; makes asking+answering questions much easier+quicker.

Personally, I've burned out all my "mind reading" senses over several decades trying to figure out what\who my wife is talking about.

I know for the 2007~2010 Ford Edge\MKX, there are 4 NarrowBand OxSensors, each has a different length 4wire cable,

but the Sensors & the 4pin connectors are all the same & interchangable,

so a Bosch 15719 with the long 24i00 0m610 Cable+Plug is good to replace any of those 4 NarrowBand Sensors

just use black ZipTies to secure\coil & route the Cable away from Hot\Moving parts.

Of course Ford has different chaotic part numbers for each CarModel + specific sensor & dealerships will gladly sell them at jacked up prices.

Just buy\order equivalent Bosch (FactoryOE supplier) new sensors for the best price you can find.

Yep, these OxSensors do wear out & need to be renewed every 100kMiles\12years

along with Iginition Plugs+Wires, to maintain engine performance & MPGs.

2008.Ford_Exha.Sens_OSxx_24i00Cabl_Bosch.15719.GIF.afeb9d798ada76669fbd1b26560d0d04.GIF

Edited by DILLARD000

On 1/9/2023 at 10:13 AM, wallybirt said:

...2011 ford edge with a  3.5 motor

...Looking to replace 2 sensors...One in front...one at the back

...think they are both upstream...not sure.

Your 3.5L has a total of four 4Wire NarrowBand OxSensors:

* 2 UpStream, 1 mounted in the top of each ExhaustManifold

+ 2 DnStream, 1 mounted in the side of each CatalyticConvertor.

Al four are operationally the same with the same 4pinConnectors & pinouts;

only difference is FactoryOE sensors have different cable lengths, otherwise they are interchangable.

Again a Bosch 15719 with the long 24i00 0m610 Cable+Plug is good to replace any of those 4 NarrowBand Sensors.

The 2 UpStream OxSensors are used by the PCM\Computer to determine Fuel+Air mix.

The 2 DnStream OxSensor are used by the PCM\Computer to monitor the 2 CatCons, these don't effect the fuel+air ratio, but are required by EPA & most states.

The 2 OxSensors on the front side (Bank2 OxSensor21 + OxSensor22)  are easy to access+change.

The 2 OxSensors on the back side (Bank1 OxSensor11 + OxSensor12) are harder to access+change,; see pic below.

OxSensors have a chemical element that wears away with miles & time;

they bias the Fuel\Air mix richer as they age, causing lower MPGs & the CatCons to run hotter due to excess fuel in the exhaust;

thus all 4 OxSensors should be renewed every 100kMiles\12years, along with IgnitionPlugs+Wires.

2008.Ford_Exha.Sens_OS12_17i17Cabl_Bosch.15724.GIF.ec44aa9d34d523f0f36d4295f4afcce3.GIF

Edited by DILLARD000
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After reading your post I checked the Lincoln Maintenance Manual and there is no recommendation for changing the O2 sensors at any specific intervals. Checked the service manual and same/same. Don't disagree but thought it strange they don't require changing or testing for age. They used to trigger a check engine at specific intervals for that. Wonder what changed?

On 1/22/2023 at 3:34 AM, enigma-2 said:

After reading your post I checked the Lincoln Maintenance Manual and there is no recommendation for changing the O2 sensors at any specific intervals. Checked the service manual and same/same. Don't disagree but thought it strange they don't require changing or testing for age. They used to trigger a check engine at specific intervals for that. Wonder what changed?

Thing about OxSensors is they have a chemical sensing element that wears out with usage+time;

as they wear out, gradually their signal becomes increasingly erroneously biased towards high oxygen content,

causing the Computer\PCM to compensate & bias the Fuel|Air mix towards rich,

thus MPGs tend to slowly decrease as OxSensors age & CatConvertors gradually run hotter to burn off that excess fuel.

Eventually their signal will bias enough to be out of range of PCM program limits & sets a TroubleCode;

well before that happens you're definitely paying for lower MPGs & wearing\burning out the CatCons prematurely.

Ford doesn't have a problem with you paying more for fuel or paying them to replace CatCons.

Edited by DILLARD000
  • Like 1