HELP - Electrical issue when NOT running

McB

I went to start my 2016 Edge Sport, got distracted by an incoming call and hit start without pushing down brake. While on the call, the Sync display showed a message to start engine or turn off, and below had a time bar that was running out. It ran out and the power shut off. I went to start and things started freaking out. The car would start, only making electrical clicking sounds (not the sounds of a started failing to turn over).

No matter what, the car wouldn't start, but I also could turn off the car. The dash was dark like the car was off but the clicking sounds kept going on. I got out of the car and noticed my fog lights were flickering as were the headlights and marker lights. The only way I could stop it was to disconnect the battery. Here is a video https://photos.app.goo.gl/nHfdFFtdNeYyw36S9

I left the battery disconnected for about 10 minutes, reconnected the battery and got inside to try to start it again. The normal courtesy lights didn't come on, the dash didn't light up and it would start once I hit the start button. However, after hitting the start button, the click and lights flickering started again. Once again, I had to disconnect the battery, which is how it currently sits.

I'm completely lost on what to do. Any advice at all? Hoping to avoid towing it to a dealer. Thanks in advance!

Edited by McB

Yeah, dead battery. A "jump pack" would start it, but the low battery situation is freaking out the electrics. I was working on my '15 Edge for an hour with the ignition on and the battery didn't like it. That was all she wrote. A sign that your main battery is going out is if you can no longer unlock the car using the rear door or passenger door. It seems that if the battery is getting low, then Ford disables the proximity sensors in the other doors to preserve power. I know if I let my Edge sit for a week, then I can't unlock/lock the rear/passenger doors by touching the door. I thought I had bad sensors, but a new battery fixed that.

Anyhow...long story short: your main battery is in need of replacement. Super easy to do. Don't forget to reset BMS so the car knows you have a new battery.

• Like 1

Did you reset the BMS?  Super easy to do.  Hit the "Start" button without foot on the brake (don't actually start the car), flash the high beams 5 times, then hit the brake pedal 3 times. You'll see the little battery icon on the dash flash once it is done.

25 minutes ago, bofus said:

Did you reset the BMS?  Super easy to do.  Hit the "Start" button without foot on the brake (don't actually start the car), flash the high beams 5 times, then hit the brake pedal 3 times. You'll see the little battery icon on the dash flash once it is done.

I did! Thanks again!