2014 daytime running light issue

Ok so long story short. Crashed car last year. Fixed it all my self. Simple project. So my edge limited had hid headlights but Dident install them back because they was 500 a piece. So I went with halogens style and now I have no daytime running lights on anymore. No wires or anything was damaged in the crash. All cosmetics. From what I’ve read online. Some was saying the hid lights control the drl and if you have halogens u have to use a scan tool to activate your daytime running lights. Witch online says I need a VCM2 witch I don’t wanna buy for a one time use project.   Anyone have experience with this before I take it to the dealer. 

8E627B5B-7D26-4915-90FD-A1DA887ABFE4.jpeg

Edited by Jhead85

From 2014 Edge Workshop Manual, with emphasis added...

Headlamps

The headlamp system is a dual-beam pattern system. It consists of a single replaceable headlamp bulb in each headlamp assembly. The vehicle may come equipped with halogen or High Intensity Discharge (HID) bulbs. The headlamp assembly has the park/turn and side marker lamp integrated into the headlamp assembly.

Vehicles with HID headlamps utilize ballasts to provide the necessary voltage to illuminate the HID bulbs.

When the high beams are requested, a shutter within each headlamp is activated. This changes the headlamp beam pattern to illuminate a greater distance.

Parking Lamps

The parking lamps illuminate when requested from the headlamp switch or the autolamp system.

The front parking and side marker lamps are integrated into the headlamp assemblies and the front auxiliary parking lamps are located in the front bumper cover.

The rear parking and side marker lamps are located in the rear lamp assemblies and the liftgate lamps are locate on the outboard sides of the liftgate.

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

NOTE: The Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) are a programmable parameter for this vehicle.

For vehicles with halogen headlamps:

• Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) can be enabled/disabled using the BCM Programmable Parameter, DRL Type.
  • the factory selected DRL system operates the low beam headlamps at a reduced intensity.
  • when enabling the DRL using a scan tool, two modes of operation can be selected. The low beam headlamps will illuminate at a reduced intensity (halogen headlamps) or the front turn lamps will illuminate continuously (not flashing) at full intensity.

For vehicles with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps:

NOTICE: Do not enable Low Beams DRL mode If the vehicle is equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. If Low Beams DRL mode is enabled, damage to the headlamp ballast may occur.

• Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) can be enabled/disabled using the BCM Programmable Parameter, DRL Type.
  • the factory selected DRL system operates the front turn lamps illuminate continuously (not flashing) at full intensity.
  • when enabling the DRL using a scan tool, only one mode of operation should be selected. The front turn lamps will illuminate continuously (not flashing) at full intensity.

The DRL are activated when the following conditions are met:

• the ignition is in RUN
  • the headlamps have not been turned on by the autolamp system or the headlamp switch
  • the transmission is not in park

Download links to relevant sections of the 2014 Edge Workshop Manual >

Exterior Lighting - Description and Operation - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Module Configuration - Diagnosis and Testing - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Headlamps - Diagnosis and Testing - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) - Diagnosis and Testing - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Body Control Module (BCM) - Diagnosis and Testing - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

HID Headlamps Wiring Diagram - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Halogen Headlamps Wiring Diagram - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Auxiliary Parking Lamps Wiring Diagram - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Front Lighting to BCM Wiring Diagram - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

BCM to Exterior Lighting Wiring Diagram - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Left Headlamp - Connector C1021A Details - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Right Headlamp - Connector C1041A Details - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Left Front Auxiliary Parking Lamp - Connector C1445 Details - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Right Front Auxiliary Parking Lamp - Connector C1446 Details - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Left Front Auxiliary Parking Lamp - G105 Ground Location - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Right Front Auxiliary Parking Lamp - G107 Ground Location - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Per the above Workshop Manual descriptions and the above-linked wiring diagrams, the LED strip lights you circled in your photo are auxiliary parking lamps that light when the parking or headlamps are lit, whereas the programmable DRL parameters provide either for a reduced voltage low beam or nearly full-time lit front turn signal lamps in the headlamp assembly.

If your pre-collision experience was the auxiliary parking lamps lighting whenever the engine is running, then your final-year GEN 1 Edge is behaving like a GEN 2 Edge should, according to this recent discussion, though the Workshop Manual documents indicate your Edge should be lighting the LED strips only when the parking or headlamps are turned on.

One thing you may want to check -- the G105 ground connection on the left front in the vicinity of the collision repair, just to make sure it was reattached, and perhaps the G107 ground on the right front if you had to perform any disassembly on that side to facilitate your repair.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz