Question about DRLs / Auto Headlighs

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum here. I just got a 2017 Ford Edge SEL. I'm wondering about the LED DRLs and auto headlights. I noticed that when in drive with the brake off, the LED DRLs are on which I like, but the projector headlamps are also on. This is when I have the headlights on "auto". When on "off", the headlight lamps turn off and only the LED DRLs are on, which I like. THAT is how I'd prefer it to be. But is it normal for the headlights to be on with the LEDs on auto? I'd prefer to keep it on auto all the time so I don't have to manually turn on the car lights. 

Thanks!

As @Nick Halstead stated, the triangle LEDs are "signature lights", in other words, for looks only. They turn on with the ignition and cannot be turned off. The DRLs are the headlights, they turn on when you have the lights on "Auto" and you are out of P-Park. Also there is a setting in the left instrument cluster to turn off the DRLs (the headlights).

• 1 year later...

@omar302: Is your Sport equipped with HID headlights, and are you running the Forscan DRLs setting, where the turn signal element is lit when HIDs are not on and transmission is not in Park, or, is that not available to GEN 2 owners?

This arrangement has been satisfying on our 2012 & 2015 GEN 1+ MKXs, though bulb changes do occur more frequently due to their near-continuous usage.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz

46 minutes ago, Haz said:

@Omar302: Is your Sport equipped with HID headlights, and are you running the Forscan DRLs setting, where the turn signal element is lit when HIDs are not on and transmission is not in Park, or, is that not available to GEN 2 owners?

Short answer, no.

On GEN 2 Edge models, headlights are 2 bulbs on each side, HID models use the inner bulb (closer to the grille) for a dedicated DRL function. It uses an H15 bulb (a dual filament bulb) but only the 15 watt DRL is connected.

Halogen equipped models use separate low/high beam bulbs and the DRL is the low beam. 

The only ForScan mods I have related to DRLs on my Edge are to enable the menu option in the cluster to turn DRL on or off, like the stock US setup for GEN2 Edges. My Edge being a GCC export market model was setup to have forced DRL always on when the conditions are right (headlights off, transmission not in Park).

• Like 2