Lift gate sensor removal

Sumner3

Is there a way to remove or turn off the lift gate sensor? I have a 2022 Ford Edge.  I still want to be able to use the key fob and the button by the steering wheel.  I just don’t want to be able to use the the lift gate with the sensor by kicking my foot underneath.  It has come down on me to many times and hit me in the head.  

The 2022 Edge Owner's Manual, on page 83, describes deactivating the Power Liftgate raise-lower function, but makes no mention of deactivating the Hands-Free Sensors...

image.png.44a7713aa813b271630f94df9f994888.png

Disconnecting the upper & lower sensors' two electrical connectors from the Hands-Free Liftgate Actuation Module, located inside the rear bumper cover toward the passenger side, will fully deactivate the Hands-Free Liftgate function...

106563494_HandsfreeLiftgateModuleConnectorsLocationIllustration-2022EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.11d232c0166228f95115bcd9973cea68.jpg

2003942808_HandsfreeLiftgateModuleandUpperLowerSensorConnectors-2022EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.28b4b71dd2b865aa066a315e3b511fde.jpg

1221809952_HandsFreeLiftgateSensorConnectorsandModuleIllustration-FordParts.jpg.2ec5c92907cd495584fbc198d6cc245a.jpg

Once removed, wrap the connectors and vacant Module receptacles with electrical tape to protect them from moisture intrusion and road debris, just in case at some later date,  you or a future owner wishes to restore the Hands-Free function.

Good luck!

• Like 2

In addition to the directions Haz published, a guy in tbe explorer forem wrote about disconnecting the antenna and the exact procedure to do it (what panels to pry, etc. Now tbis is for the explorer but could be similar. Might be useful.

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/tailgate-disabling-the-kick-to-open-or-close-motion-feature-full-pictures.1938/

• Like 1

From the 2020 Edge Workshop Manual...

Hands-Free Liftgate Actuation Module

The hands-free liftgate actuation module is located behind the rear bumper cover on the right side of the vehicle. The hands-free liftgate actuation module receives a 12-volt signal from the BCM while monitoring 2 capacitive sensors. When the correct motion is detected from the upper and lower sensors, the hands-free liftgate actuation module momentarily grounds the voltage signal from the BCM .

Hands-Free Liftgate Actuation Sensors

The hands-free liftgate actuation sensors are capacitive sensors and generate capacitive fields near the rear bumper. The capacitive fields are disrupted when an object (such as a leg) enters the area. The hands-free liftgate actuation module uses this information to interpret movement near the rear bumper.

In the above-linked Explorer ST Forum discussion, the Explorer owner uses the term 'Antenna Loop' to describe his vehicle's two separate Hands-Free Liftgate Actuation Sensors...

Photo courtesy of KNTRDR

image.png.e4bae9bbdf0fe0c64b3970972022d2a6.png

...which are mounted forward of the trailer hitch assembly in an upper-and-lower arrangement that is functionally identical to the two Sensors mounted on the inside of the Edge's rear bumper cover...

Explorer Lower Hands-Free Liftgate Actuation Sensor

imagen2.dll?id=E303668_EUR&w=580&t=JPG

Explorer Upper Hands-Free Liftgate Actuation Sensor

imagen2.dll?id=E303670_EUR&w=580&t=JPG

The Explorer owner's direction is to disconnect the Upper Sensor and to leave the Lower Sensor plugged into the Hands-Free Liftgate Actuation Module, and there are no subsequent comments in that discussion saying the Hands-Free function continued to work after disconnecting the one Sensor.

Looking to the Edge Workshop Manual description, the Module presumably compares electrical values generated from each Sensor and interprets simultaneous changes in the two Sensor inputs as the owner's leg sweep, which when the Intelligent Access key fob is within 3-feet of the Liftgate, triggers a power-open result (as long as the Power Liftgate is not deactivated via the Instrument Panel settings menu).

So, disconnecting one Sensor may sufficient to prevent the Module from recognizing an underbody leg sweep, by eliminating the second Sensor's electrical input from comparison by the Module to the other connected Sensor's input.

Unfortunately, the Hands-Free feature wasn't offered on our 2015 MKX, so I cannot personally test the difference between disconnecting one Sensor versus disconnecting both Sensors from the Hands-Free Liftgate Actuation Module.

The Explorer owner's recommendation to use vinyl/nitrile gloves' cutoff finger sections zip-tied to an unused connector or module receptacle for protection from water intrusion and road dirt is a great idea that I will surely use in the future...

Photo courtesy of KNTRDR

image.png.f5e99e5691e531d852771f7fe5b18aef.png   

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

I have a 2022 model and hate this "feature" as well.  One option that I use (without modifying the car) is to keep the keys out of my pockets when I am doing something in the back.  When you have big feet, you can't help but trigger the darn thing inadvertently.  When I'm at the car wash, I leave the keys on the console and that seems to keep the liftgate from opening at a bad time.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Haz said:

Unfortunately, the Hands-Free feature wasn't offered on our 2015 MKX,

What?   I have it on my 2009! 

(Although it works a little differently).

With mine, I simply kick my foot on the bottom of the cargo area and yell "Hey Linda, open the hatch". Pop's right open. 

Edited by enigma-2
  • Haha 1