SSM 51360 - 2021-2023 Edge Titanium/Nautilus - Unintended Hands-Free Liftgate Activation

Haz

Released on February 14, 2023...

SSM 51360   2021-2023 Edge Titanium/Nautilus - Unintended Hands-Free Liftgate Activation

Some 2021-2023 Edge Titanium/Nautilus vehicles equipped with hands-free liftgate may exhibit unintended liftgate activation when coming in contact with the rear bumper cover when the passive key is located in the rear bumper detection area. This is a normal condition and repairs are not necessary. Switching the hands-free liftgate feature off through the vehicle settings or keeping the passive key away from the rear bumper detection area during these actions will prevent unintended activation from occurring. Refer to the Owner’s Manual Power Liftgate section for more details.

It is worth noting that 2021-2023 Edge/Nautilus Owner's Manual sections covering Power Liftgate do not include any passage relating to "Switching the hands-free liftgate feature off through the vehicle settings" as mentioned in SSM 51360.

The Owner Manuals do include...

image.png.065eb7fd4076e780e04f3e85879f5db7.png

and...

image.png.d6bc3ac6dc8901760af035060c8084e4.png

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

None of this is acceptable. It makes absolutely no sense that you have to disable an option that you have paid for in order to safely load and unload your trunk.  

This is a dangerous issue and must be addressed. 

This is not our first Edge.  This is our 3rd and we have never had this problem.  It is obviously a software glitch that needs to be addressed.  Ford is obviously aware of it as they have posted this SSM.   Are they waiting until a mom puts down the baby on the trunk while loading or unloading from Costco and have the tailgate come down on them?  Yes, it comes slow, and yes the chimes beep, BUT sometimes your hands are full, or someone is standing behind you and you cannot get out of the way fast enough. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen.  3 times today it has come down on me.  

The service department told me "keep your keys in your purse and unlock your car first, put your purse on the front seat, then go to the back and load, unload the car".   Sounds like a perfect way to either have your purse or your vehicle stolen.  

I have always heard never buy the first year of a model for a vehicles because the glitches aren't out yet.  Obviously it is likewise for the last year of a model as the manufacturer no longer cares.  

I have the emails from the dealership available and from Ford, should any litigator want to prove in the future that Ford WAS aware of this issue and chose not to fix it. 

Edited by Deb H
correct spelling

• 3 weeks later...

Erinwood Fords suggestion was to complain to Ford. Yet, when i asked the salesperson for a name to complain to I received no response.  

I have filled out  a Transport of Canada Defect Complaint Form.  

Get angrier about this lemon everytime I get BONKED on the head!

• 4 months later...

Ford is restating to the Service community that unintended hands-free liftgate operation is normal and no repair is needed to eliminate it, but that the solution for affected vehicle owners is deactivating the power liftgate or not having the passive key fob near the rear bumper when active in the cargo load space ...

image.png.dd78b7ac173429bb1bc482f5eb4e8e5b.png

Good luck!

• Like 3