Chrome Wheel Shortage

Horn21

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help me out? I ordered my Edge SEL on December 27 but to date my dealer has yet to receive a VIN. He explained that there is a back order or shortage of the chrome wheels which is holding up production. Can anyone give me a little insight as to when this will be resolved? Waiting patiently... Thanks in advance.

:reading:

This comment about shortages of Chrome wheels was raised a few weeks ago..the reply on Feb 7th. was "The supplier that produces the 18" chrome rims fell behind on orders. They are mass producing the rims now and all orders will be filled. Should take a week or so to get caught up.'

The chrome wheels are on what is called "commodity control." Meaning only a certain percentage of orders can have said commodities on them. It is like 18% if I recall correctly. Your order is held up because of this due to ordering complexities when it comes to producing vehicles and dealer allocation. You can have your dealer contact their Zone Manager and see if he or she can bring it to a schedulers attention and get it handled. But I'd have them do it quick, alot of us are leaving or fired on Wednesday.

The chrome wheels are on what is called "commodity control." Meaning only a certain percentage of orders can have said commodities on them. It is like 18% if I recall correctly. Your order is held up because of this due to ordering complexities when it comes to producing vehicles and dealer allocation. You can have your dealer contact their Zone Manager and see if he or she can bring it to a schedulers attention and get it handled. But I'd have them do it quick, alot of us are leaving or fired on Wednesday.

I'm not sure if an order from December would still be on hold for chromes if I placed my order 1/22/07 and my Blend date is 2/22/07.

I expect the vehicle to be built very soon. As a matter of fact I called Customer care today and they gave me a delivery date of March 5th.

I have the chrome 18's and I would hope that their is no delay.

I definitely get better updates and info on this board than from my dealer. (those guys don't seem to know whats going on in the factory)

Ford ZM: Whats this about people leaving or fired on Wednesday? ;)

I'm not sure if an order from December would still be on hold for chromes if I placed my order 1/22/07 and my Blend date is 2/22/07.

I expect the vehicle to be built very soon. As a matter of fact I called Customer care today and they gave me a delivery date of March 5th.

I have the chrome 18's and I would hope that their is no delay.

I definitely get better updates and info on this board than from my dealer. (those guys don't seem to know whats going on in the factory)

Ford ZM: Whats this about people leaving or fired on Wednesday? ;)

Wednesday, February 28th is the last day for all salaried Ford workers who chose to accept a separation package, or those who were told to take a separation package. It is part of Ford's reduction in white-collar workers. Those who didn't take a package, and was offered or told to take one, will probably be "Let Go" within a few weeks. I believe the total number they want is around 14,000 people.

Hourly workers who took packages also are leaving Wednesday too. Except hourly workers are split up throughout the year until September (contract), in order to maintain "operational effectiveness". Around 38,000 UAW workers signed up to leave, but are not obligated to leave even if they signed up. I believe Ford is counting on an 80% take rate, which I think is a little steep unfortunately.

This really is an unfortunate time for many people because they are being forced to make a life-changing decision based off of rumor and speculation. Info is scarce, pressure is high, and morale is awful. Good luck to those who leave!!! I, myself, have chosen to ride this wave, with my 8 years of seniority, all the way in until it crashes. Hopefully in about 22 years :(

NYEdge, you are past the commodity phase. Commodities come into play for when a dealer order is scheduled and serialized (VIN produced). At this point it is locked into the production system and the only things that can affect it are last minute supplier shortages, unplanned downtime, shipping issues.

Horn21 is unfortunately in the waiting process to get his order scheduled due to the constraint on how many orders with his wheels get scheduled and produced for a given week. Horn, let me know, whose is your dealer? It's a longshot, but you never know, it may be one of mine.

Jrod, you pretty much nailed it, info scarce, pressure high, morale is awful. However, everyone on the salaried side was offered a "Voluntary" offer in December and the HR script said basically "You are urged to take this offer based on what little information on what our organizational structure will be." With the months of salary offered, it is little wonder so many people are taking it and running. A good friend of mine from college worked for Nestle. They had a bunch of their staff called into a meeting shortly before lunch one day, told they were closing down their facility, they had an hour to gather their things and they'd get their last check the following week for their full two week payperiod and that was that. I've heard Mullaly just wanted to go one, two , you're in, three there's the door.

NYEdge, you are past the commodity phase. Commodities come into play for when a dealer order is scheduled and serialized (VIN produced). At this point it is locked into the production system and the only things that can affect it are last minute supplier shortages, unplanned downtime, shipping issues.

Horn21 is unfortunately in the waiting process to get his order scheduled due to the constraint on how many orders with his wheels get scheduled and produced for a given week. Horn, let me know, whose is your dealer? It's a longshot, but you never know, it may be one of mine.

Jrod, you pretty much nailed it, info scarce, pressure high, morale is awful. However, everyone on the salaried side was offered a "Voluntary" offer in December and the HR script said basically "You are urged to take this offer based on what little information on what our organizational structure will be." With the months of salary offered, it is little wonder so many people are taking it and running. A good friend of mine from college worked for Nestle. They had a bunch of their staff called into a meeting shortly before lunch one day, told they were closing down their facility, they had an hour to gather their things and they'd get their last check the following week for their full two week payperiod and that was that. I've heard Mullaly just wanted to go one, two , you're in, three there's the door.

I feel terrible for the Ford employees that are going through these tough times. I have been in this position myself in the past and I know that at times it seems overwhelming that the company you thought of as an extended family, no longer wants you around. I worked for the same employer for 13 years in management for a construction firm. My contribution to the company was what I thought, tremendous. Needless to say, things became unstable and I opted to go out on my own and start my own construction firm. That was the toughest time of my personal & professional life, but now it has come to be the best thing for me.

My father retired from Ford after 25+ years on the assembly line in NJ when they closed the plant. I wish all of those at Ford going through these tough times, the best of luck, and sometimes things do work out for the best.