2013 MKX AWD—Transmission Flush, or simple drain and fill?

Jw23

Hello all, 

Had my MKX in to an independent shop today for an alignment, and they noticed that the trans fluid was pretty dark during the vehicle inspection. I verified it when I got home and noticed the same. I bought it at ~49,000 miles, and it currently has 89k on it. To my knowledge, the fluid hasn’t been changed to this point, and I’m not sure whether I should go with a transmission flush or just a simple drain and fill. I’m finding conflicting answers for the 6F50, so I was wondering if any of you have experience on this front. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

774C36CD-7AAD-44E0-834B-E0F7B08916F5.jpeg

Drain and fill is the way to go. If it has been 90k miles, you might want to do multiple drain and refills (it takes 3 per the Ford manual to get most of the fluid changed that way).

Mercon LV gets dark fast. Ford issued a bulletin about it 2 years after they started shipping vehicles with it. The dye it uses goes away pretty quickly (like Royal Purple in some uses). Some Mercon V stays red longer, but most of it is dark after 10k miles, and even with 3 or 4 drains, it will likely stay pretty dark, with a hint of red after the last change.

As long as it doesn't smell burnt, isn't brown or have a lot of suspended solids, shouldn't be an issue.

• Thanks 1