2008 Ford Edge Limited - Excessive Cranking

RobynL_328

Hi everyone. My Edge just started doing this thing where when I go to start the vehicle, it starts to crank as normal, however, at the point where I would let go (because the truck has started up), it continues to crank on its own. I haven't let it do this for very long, perhaps 5 or 6 seconds at most, before I switch the key to off. I wait a couple of seconds, then attempt to start again, at which point it starts up immediately as normal. I feel like I should mention also that the only thing I've noticed that is a little "off" is that since this cranking issue began, when I start the truck normally, it sounds/feels like it's just a hair sluggish, kind of like how it feels when the battery is going bad or something. Incidentally, my battery is most certainly not going bad, it's no more than a year old, if that. 

Can someone tell me what the possible causes are of this excessive cranking issue?? 

Thank you! 

It is equipped with "One-Touch Integrated Start" (OTIS), which once you turn the key to START you can release it, and it will continue to try to start until it does. I think it is 10 seconds it will attempt to start the vehicle before stopping it.

If it is continuously attempting to crank and start until you stop it, or it times out after 10 seconds, I would suspect a fuel delivery issue. One thing to try is to turn the key to ON and let it sit for a couple seconds, turn it to OFF, then back to ON, let it sit a couple of seconds, then try to start it. Sorta what you see how, second start attempt works, but is sluggish.

Even with a battery healthy enough to crank the engine for 5-10 seconds, a weak fuel pump can often fail. I temped fate in my last car at 199,000 miles, it gave me all the indications of a failing fuel pump, but I disregarded them, until it finally left me stranded. It would not always start on the first attempt, it would sometimes start better with a battery charger attached (but the engine cranking speed on the starter was fine).

• Thanks 1