2022 Ford Edge Titanium Elite issues

Edge421

I have had my ‘22 Edge to the ford dealership 3 times now and have another appointment scheduled.  Each time there are no codes and they “can’t replicate the issue”, yet as soon as I leave the vehicle does it again.

1.  Every now and then, no rhyme or reason, when using one of the blinkers on the instrument cluster blinks real fast about 2-3 times and then goes to normal blinking.  It can be both left or right.

2. Sometimes I get a message pop up on instrument cluster that s mode isn’t available in selected gear when I am put car in park, even though I haven’t pushed the S button on the gear knob.

3. Sometimes I also get a message pop up on instrument cluster about seat memory not available in drive mode, even though I haven’t pushed the seat buttons.

4.  The seat heater won’t turn off sometimes, I have to go to cool seat then to off to get it to turn off.

5. And now recently, twice the speakers on the whole drivers side of the car just don’t work.  The first I turned car off and back on and they came back on.  Second time I reset the infotainment system and they came back on.

Anyone else have these issues???  Or know what I can tell the dealership to check.  They keep saying there is no issue and the blinkers are driving me crazy!

Edited by Edge421
Forgot an issue

Welcome to the forum.  Gremlins like this can be difficult to nail down.  Unfortunately, many times the only way to do it is to have the dealer keep the car until one of these things happen.  And yeah, that is not very practical.  So unless the car throws a code, you may be chasing these ghosts for a while.  More comments should be interesting.  Good luck with this, and keep us posted if you do find something.

Welcome  to the Forum!  Sorry to learn your new Edge is presenting you so many frustrating issues.

Has your dealer offered you any explanation of the symptoms and/or their past diagnostic efforts?

For example, the sporadic Instrument Cluster turn signal behavior sounds like momentary instances of hyperflash, which when occurring properly, warns owners of nonfunctioning turn signal lamps. In your Edge's case, those turn signal lamps are LEDs instead of conventional filament light bulbs.

This description of turn signal operation is from the 2022 Edge Workshop Manual...

For high series headlamp turn lamps and all rear turn lamps, when the BCM receives a request for a turn signal, the BCM supplies on/off voltage to the appropriate turn lamp Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs). The turn lamps are Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) and have an outage circuit that tells the BCM when the Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) are inoperative. During normal operation, when voltage is applied to the turn Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs), the feedback circuit sends the same voltage back to the BCM through the outage circuit. If the Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) are inoperative the BCM will not receive this voltage feedback through the outage circuit.

When the BCM receives a request for a turn signal, the BCM supplies on/off voltage to the appropriate turn lamps.

If a front or rear turn signal lamp is inoperative, the IPC turn lamp indicator fast flashes at approximately 150 times per minute to indicate a bulb outage to the driver (the exterior turn lamps will still flash at approximately 70 times per minute).

So, if what you see actually is a momentary hyperflash warning, then it may be caused by a damaged wire or loose electrical connector or displaced pin inside a connector that's momentarily interrupting the electrical current going to a LED or the Outage feedback circuit, which could  produce the momentary hyperflash events.

The front & rear/left and right turn signal circuits both run through common Body Control Module (BCM) connectors C2280C & C2280D, so they would seem like a good places to start, as well as the headlamp/taillamp assemblies' connectors -- but, your dealer may have already checked these items.

The below wiring diagrams with red-line highlighted details show the Outage circuits and front & rear lamp assemblies' connector commonalities...

1782496326_Headlamps-Autolamps-FrontRightHandWiringDiagramHIGHLIGHTED-2022EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.662b2c4ad2a17307ba7391e3119914e4.jpg

1116386609_Headlamps-Autolamps-FrontLeftHandWiringDiagramHIGHLIGHTED-2022EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.cfe2a38e1dc7bcd5a4dfe10cf88b8140.jpg

348659786_TurnSignal-Stop-HazardLamps-RearLampsWiringDiagramHIGHLIGHTED-2022EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.c2bac77a26fbb4e04c29b20736f2823b.jpg

Question: Do the Instrument Cluster notifications you've seen also present themselves when you manually do what they are saying is the error?  That is, does the message replicate when you push the Sport mode gear shift button with the vehicle in Park, or, when you push the seat memory button while actively driving?

A scanner device can be connected to the Edge's OBDII data port and the Gear Shift Module (GSM) can be monitored for PID values that indicate the actuation of each shifter position/button, to assess GSM operation -- but, your dealer may have already tried that.

This description is from the Workshop Manual...

Normal Operation and Fault Conditions

• Gear Shift Module (GSM)
    • If any diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) are present in the GSM , resolve those first.
    • Using a diagnostic scan tool, access the GSM and monitor PID GEAR_CMD. Press all the GSM buttons in sequence and make sure PID GEAR_CMD matches each selector lever position. If PID GEAR_CMD does not change to match the selected button, INSTALL a new GSM . REFER to: Gear Shift Module (GSM) (307-05A Automatic Transmission External Controls - 8-Speed Automatic Transmission – 8F35/8F40, Removal and Installation).

It is conceivable that the Gear Shift Module (GSM) is causing or contributing to the problem, but the dealer would rightfully want to rule out other circuit wiring/connector possibilities before replacing the GSM.

The loss of audio could be related to short circuit(s) in speaker wiring causing the Audio Front Control Module (ACM) and/or the Audio Digital Signal Processing Module (DSP) to "disable speakers to prevent damage to the internal amplifier" and "DTC sets to identify which speaker circuits are causing the concern", according to the Workshop Manual.

As edjunior mentioned above, please let us know the outcome of your next dealer visit.

Document Download Links>

Headlamps-Autolamps - Front Right Hand Wiring Diagram - 2022 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Headlamps-Autolamps - Front Left Hand Wiring Diagram - 2022 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Turn Signal-Stop-Hazard Lamps - Rear Lamps Wiring Diagram - 2022 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Body Control Module (BCM) - Wiring Diagram w LH & RH LED Outage Circuits -2022 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Body Control Module (BCM) - Wiring Diagram w LH LED Outage Circuit -2022 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Body Control Module (BCM) - Connector C2280C Details -2022 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Body Control Module (BCM) - Connector C2280D Details -2022 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Gear Shift Module (GSM) - Removal and Installation - 8F35-8F40 Transmission External Controls - 2022 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback.  My appt isn’t until May.

The first trip to dealership a year ago they found a bent pin on the gateway module and put a new one in, but that didn’t fix any of my issues and they haven’t found anything else.  I will bring up the ground issue when I take it back.

I will update after appt at dealership

• 2 months later...

Was able to get a video of the blinker issue with my car and provided that to the dealership and to Ford Corporate because I filed a claim with them to help dealership out because of previous, we can’t do anything.

They had my car for two weeks.  They still couldn’t replicate, said they can’t fix anything unless they have a code.